Date:	Mon, 7 Mar 2016 00:29:08 +0100
From:	Johannes Stezenbach <js@...uxtv.org>
To:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@....samsung.com>
Cc:	Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@...el.com>,
	Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>,
	Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@...all.nl>, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	Graham Whaley <graham.whaley@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel docs: muddying the waters a bit

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 11:29:37PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> I converted one of the big tables to CSV. At least now it recognized
> it as a table. Yet, the table was very badly formated:
> 	https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/media-kabi-docs-test/rst_tests/packed-rgb.html
>
> This is how this table should look like:
> 	https://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/packed-rgb.html
>
> Also, as this table has merged cells at the legend. I've no idea how
> to tell sphinx to do that on csv format.
>
> The RST files are on this git tree:
> 	https://git.linuxtv.org/mchehab/v4l2-docs-poc.git/

Yeah, seems it can't do merged cells in csv.  Attached patch converts it
back to grid table format and fixes the table definition.
The html output looks usable, but clearly it is no fun to
work with tables in Sphinx.

Sphinx' latex writer can't handle nested tables, though.
Python's docutils rst2latex can, but that doesn't help here.
rst2pdf also supports it.  But I have doubts such a large
table would render OK in pdf without using landscape orientation.
I have not tried because I used python3-sphinx but rst2pdf
is only availble for Python2 in Debian so it does not integrate
with Sphinx.

Johannes

View attachment "0001-some-progress-for-html-output.patch" of type "text/x-diff" (50702 bytes)