Date:	Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:17:41 +0000
From:	Qais Yousef <qsyousef@...il.com>
To:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
Cc:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Ralf Baechle <ralf@...ux-mips.org>, linux-mips@...ux-mips.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Mar 14 (mips qemu failure bisected)

On 16/03/2016 20:27, Qais Yousef wrote:

> On 16/03/2016 13:22, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>>>>
>> [ ... ]
>>>>
>>> I run the tests with only a single CPU core enabled. Maybe that causes
>>> problems with your code ?
>>>
>> I ran another qemu test (this time on mainline) with "-smp 2", but
>> the only
>> difference is that the image now gets stuck even earlier.
>>
>> Also, I ran another set of bisects, this time with both mips and mips64
>> on mainline (after your patch landed), with the same results.
>>
>> Guenter
>>

> OK thanks for the info. The offending commit just enables using quite
> a few of the newly added code before that. So the problem could be in
> any of the newly added code.
>
> Unfortunately I can only look at this during my limited time in the
> evening and I have to setup my system to compile and run this, so I
> won't be able to get to the bottom of this as fast as I'd like to.
>
> Qais

OK I was up and running faster than I thought I would be. Can you
confirm that you're hitting a BUG_ON() in mips_smp_ipi_init()?

What I see is that BUG_ON() is hit because we couldn't find an ipidomain
to allocate the ipis from. The reason of whih is that the qemu malta
machine doesn't have a GIC though the config is compiled with GIC on.
Also if I remember correctly qemu malta doesn't really support SMP. I
think that was the reason I never ran this on qemu.

I'm not sure what's the best way forward here. I can add a check to
verify gic_present inside this function and return early. Patch attached.

Ralf, thoughts?

Thanks,
Qais

View attachment "0001-MIPS-Fix-broken-malta-qemu.patch" of type "text/plain" (1410 bytes)