Date:	Fri, 25 Mar 2016 08:49:21 +0900
From:	Inki Dae <inki.dae@...sung.com>
To:	Rob Clark <robdclark@...il.com>
Cc:	Gustavo Padovan <gustavo@...ovan.org>,
	"dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org" <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
	Daniel Stone <daniels@...labora.com>,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>,
	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>,
	Riley Andrews <riandrews@...roid.com>,
	Gustavo Padovan <gustavo.padovan@...labora.co.uk>,
	John Harrison <John.C.Harrison@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/6] drm/fences: add in-fences to DRM

2016년 03월 25일 00:40에 Rob Clark 이(가) 쓴 글:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Inki Dae <inki.dae@...sung.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2016년 03월 24일 03:47에 Gustavo Padovan 이(가) 쓴 글:
>>> From: Gustavo Padovan <gustavo.padovan@...labora.co.uk>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is a first proposal to discuss the addition of in-fences support
>>> to DRM. It adds a new struct to fence.c to abstract the use of sync_file
>>> in DRM drivers. The new struct fence_collection contains a array with all
>>> fences that a atomic commit needs to wait on
>>
>> As I mentioned already like below,
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg103225.html
>>
>> I don't see why Android specific thing is tried to propagate to Linux DRM. In Linux mainline, it has already implicit sync interfaces for DMA devices called dma fence which forces registering a fence obejct to DMABUF through a reservation obejct when a dmabuf object is created. However, Android sync driver creates a new file for a sync object and this would have different point of view.
>>
>> Is there anyone who can explan why Android specific thing is tried to spread into Linux DRM? Was there any consensus to use Android sync driver - which uses explicit sync interfaces - as Linux standard?
>>

> btw, there is already plane_state->fence .. which I don't think has
> any users yet, but I start to use it in my patchset that converts
> drm/msm to 'struct fence'

Yes, Exynos also started it.

> That said, we do need syncpt as the way to expose fences to userspace
> for explicit synchronization, but I'm not entirely sure that the

It's definitely different case. This tries to add new user-space interfaces to expose fences to user-space. At least, implicit interfaces are embedded into drivers.
So I'd like to give you a question. Why exposing fences to user-space is required? To provide easy-to-debug solution to rendering pipleline? To provide merge fence feature?

And if we need really to expose fences to user-space and there is really real user, then we have already good candidates, DMA-BUF-IOCTL-SYNC or maybe fcntl system call because we share already DMA buffer between CPU <-> DMA and DMA <-> DMA using DMABUF.
For DMA-BUF-IOCTL-SYNC, I think you remember that was what I tried long time ago because you was there. Several years ago, I tried to couple exposing the fences to user-space with cache operation although at that time, I really misleaded the fence machnism. My trying was also for the potential users.

Anyway, my opinion is that we could expose the fences hided by DMABUF to user-space using interfaces it exists already around us. And for this, below Chromium solution would also give us some helps,
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/+/chromeos-3.18/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_sync_helper.c

And in /driver/dma-buf/, there are DMABUF-centric modules so looks strange sync_file module of Android is placed in that directory - Android sync driver doesn't use really DMABUF but creates new file for their sync fence instead.
For implicit sync interfaces for DMA devices, we use DMABUF and for explict sync interfaces for user-space, we use sync_file not DMABUF? That doesn't make sense.

I love really Android but I feel as if we try to give a seat available to Android somehow.

Thanks,
Inki Dae