Date:	Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:55:37 +0000
From:	Alexey Brodkin <Alexey.Brodkin@...opsys.com>
To:	"jh80.chung@...sung.com" <jh80.chung@...sung.com>
CC:	"linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-mmc@...r.kernel.org" <linux-mmc@...r.kernel.org>,
	"marex@...x.de" <marex@...x.de>,
	"vladimir_zapolskiy@...tor.com" <vladimir_zapolskiy@...tor.com>,
	"robh+dt@...nel.org" <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
	"devicetree@...r.kernel.org" <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ARC dw-mshc binding compat string

Hi Jaehoon,

On Mon, 2016-03-28 at 19:34 +0900, Jaehoon Chung wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> Yes..it's redundant..i should be combined to "snps,dw-mshc".

So for socfpga platform compat string should be something like "snps,dw-mshc-socfpga" then?

> > > Right, this very much matches how I see it as well. Thanks for confirming.
> > >
> > > Alexey, can you tell us if the requirement for setting
> > > SDMMC_CMD_USE_HOLD_REG came with some new revision of the core or
> > > disappeared with some revision OR if this is some configuration
> > > option of the core during synthesis ?
> > Sorry for not following that discussion during my weekend but I'll try
> > to address all questions now.
> SDMMC_CMD_USE_HOLD_REG didn't come with new revision..It's using continuously.
> But it's difficult to use the generic feature..because it's considered the below things.
>
> If Card is SDR50/SDR104/DDR50 mode..
> 	1) and phase shift of cclk_in_drv is 0 then SDMMC_CMD_USE_HOLD_REG bit is set to 0,
> 	2) and phase shift of cclk_in_drv > 0 then SDMMC_CMD_USE_HOLD_REG bit is set to 1,
> If Card is SDR12/SDR25 mode, then this bit is set to 1.

So card type is also important here and for certain card type we don't need to
set SDMMC_CMD_USE_HOLD_REG, right?

> We need to check phase shift scheme..but as i knew, each SoC have been implemented differently for phase shift.
> (Phase shift have dependency to SoC.)

Given my assumption above we need to check 2 things:
 * Card type
 * SoC-specific implementation detail (phase shift scheme)

> And it have to check HCON register..there is IMPLEMENT_HOLD_REG(bit[22]).
> (It described whether IP have hold register or not)

Ah actually 3 things
 + IMPLEMENT_HOLD_REG

> I didn't read this thread entirely.
> I'm not sure what you have discussed..but my understanding is right..i recommend to use "snps,dw-mshc" for ARC compat
> string.
> Otherwise it need to add "dw_mmc-<SoC>.c". dw_mmc-pltfm.c should provide the basic dw-mmc controller functionality.

Hm, interesting looks like you already made some changes here:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=aaaaeb7a933471f6413ca44dd36efd57f2fa9429

So now driver checks if SoC has HOLD REG then SDMMC_CMD_USE_HOLD_REG will be set
(regardless card type).

And what's interesting and connected to this discussion since mentioned commit
there's no point in having both "altr,socfpga-dw-mshc" and "img,pistachio-dw-mshc"
compat strings because the do nothing now. I.e. it's time to replace both mentioned
compat strings with generic "snps,dw-mshc".

Anybody volunteers for that .dts* cleanup?

-Alexey