Date:	Tue, 5 Apr 2016 09:46:32 -0400
From:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:	"Boyce, Kevin P (AS)" <Kevin.Boyce@....com>
Cc:	Wade Mealing <wmealing@...hat.com>,
	Bjørn Mork <bjorn@...k.no>,
	Oliver Neukum <oneukum@...e.com>,
	linux-usb <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-audit@...hat.com" <linux-audit@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: EXT :Re: [RFC] Create an audit record of USB specific details

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 11:49:14AM +0000, Boyce, Kevin P (AS) wrote:
> Wade,
>
> Wouldn't this imply that every time the system is booted and the PCI
> bus for example is enumerated and all of the devices are created that
> all of those activities generate audit events?
> That sounds less than desiriable.  Does this imply that the audit
> subsystem should maintain a "baseline" of hardware that is always
> present on the system?

If you do, what happens when your PCI devices renumber themselves the
next time you boot (hint, PCI numbering is not static.)

> Couldn't you audit a directory under /proc/usb?

There is no "/proc/usb/" :)

> Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't audititing of the syscall mknod
> create an event when devices are "added" to the system?

The kernel calls mknod itself on devtmpfs, userspace doesn't do that
anymore (hasn't for a long time).  Do you get those audit events today?

thanks,

greg k-h