Date:	Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:40:09 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	"Machani, Yaniv" <yanivma@...com>, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>,
	Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@...gle.com>,
	Nandita Dukkipati <nanditad@...gle.com>,
	open list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Kama, Meirav" <meiravk@...com>
Subject: Re: TCP reaching to maximum throughput after a long time

On 04/12/2016 01:29 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 13:23 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> It worked well enough for years that I didn't even know other algorithms were
>> available.  It was broken around 4.0 time, and I reported it to the list,
>> and no one seemed to really care enough to do anything about it.  I changed
>> to reno and ignored the problem as well.
>>
>> It is trivially easy to see the regression when using ath10k NIC, and from this email
>> thread, I guess other NICs have similar issues.
>
> Since it is so trivial, why don't you start a bisection ?

I vaguely remember doing a bisect, but I can't find any email about
that, so maybe I didn't.  At any rate, it is somewhere between 3.17 and 4.0.
 From memory, it was between 3.19 and 4.0, but I am not certain of that.

Neil's suggestion, from the thread below, is that it was likely:  "605ad7f tcp: refine TSO autosizing"

Here is previous email thread:

https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg80803.html

This one has a link to a pcap I made at the time:

https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg80890.html

> I asked a capture, I did not say ' switch to Reno or whatever ', right ?
>
> Guessing is nice, but investigating and fixing is better.
>
> Do not assume that nothing can be done, please ?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>