Date:	Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:41:11 +0530
From:	Bhuvanchandra DV <bhuvanchandra.dv@...adex.com>
To:	Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>
CC:	<gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>, <stefan@...er.ch>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-spi@...r.kernel.org>,
	Stefan Agner <stefan.agner@...adex.com>,
	Bhuvanchandra <bhuvanchandra.dv@...adex.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/2] spi: spidev: Use 'new_id' sysfs file for enabling
 spidev

On 04/20/2016 05:47 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 05:43:32PM +0530, Bhuvanchandra DV wrote:
>
>> SPI drivers bind to the device as configured in DT, but in case of
>> spidev(non DT approach) the device is not available in hand to bind the
>> driver. So tried this approach of creating the device and then bind spidev.
>> I agree this is not a standard way we bind SPI devices. With out a device
>> available, seems it is not possible to bind spidev in non DT approach.
>> Please correct me if i'm wrong.
>
> The DT should describe the hardware so the DT should describe whatever
> device is connected to the spidev, what you're trying to do is have
> spidev bind to these new compatible strings.

The device which i was pointing earlier is the SPI master device(spiB.C)
not the external h/w device interfaced to it. Yes, DT will describe the
h/w interfaced on SPI master device(spiB.C). In case of spidev we are
not supposed to describe in DT as it is not a real h/w. The intention of
this patchset is to completely avoid spidev in DT and load it via sysfs
new_id file for selected SPI master device(spiB.C).

--
Best regards,
Bhuvan