Date:	Mon, 2 May 2016 17:22:49 +0200
From:	Jerome Glisse <j.glisse@...il.com>
To:	"Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill@...temov.name>
Cc:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>, Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
	kirill.shutemov@...ux.intel.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>
Subject: Re: GUP guarantees wrt to userspace mappings

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 06:00:13PM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 03:39:20PM +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> > > Quick look around:
> > >
> > >  - I don't see any check page_count() around __replace_page() in uprobes,
> > >    so it can easily replace pinned page.
> >
> > Not an issue for existing user as this is only use to instrument code, existing
> > user do not execute code from virtual address for which they have done a GUP.
>
> Okay, so we can establish that GUP doesn't provide the guarantee in some
> cases.

Correct but it use to provide that guarantee in respect to THP.

> > >  - KSM has the page_count() check, there's still race wrt GUP_fast: it can
> > >    take the pin between the check and establishing new pte entry.
> >
> > KSM is not an issue for existing user as they all do get_user_pages() with
> > write = 1 and the KSM first map page read only before considering to replace
> > them and check page refcount. So there can be no race with gup_fast there.
>
> In vfio case, 'write' is conditional on IOMMU_WRITE, meaning not all
> get_user_pages() are with write=1.

I think this is still fine as it means that device will read only and thus
you can migrate to different page (ie the guest is not expecting to read back
anything writen by the device and device writting to the page would be illegal
and a proper IOMMU would forbid it). So it is like direct-io when you write
from anonymous memory to a file.

> > >  - khugepaged: the same story as with KSM.
> >
> > I am assuming you are talking about collapse_huge_page() here, if you look in
> > that function there is a comment about GUP_fast. Noneless i believe the comment
> > is wrong as i believe there is an existing race window btw pmdp_collapse_flush()
> > and __collapse_huge_page_isolate() :
> >
> >   get_user_pages_fast()          | collapse_huge_page()
> >    gup_pmd_range() -> valid pmd  | ...
> >                                  | pmdp_collapse_flush() clear pmd
> >                                  | ...
> >                                  | __collapse_huge_page_isolate()
> >                                  | [Above check page count and see no GUP]
> >    gup_pte_range() -> ref page   |
> >
> > This is a very unlikely race because get_user_pages_fast() can not be preempted
> > while collapse_huge_page() can be preempted btw pmdp_collapse_flush() and
> > __collapse_huge_page_isolate(), more over collapse_huge_page() has lot more
> > instructions to chew on than get_user_pages_fast() btw gup_pmd_range() and
> > gup_pte_range().
>
> Yes, the race window is small, but there.

Now that i think again about it, i don't think it exist. pmdp_collapse_flush()
will flush the tlb and thus send an IPI but get_user_pages_fast() can't be
preempted so the flush will have to wait for existing get_user_pages_fast() to
complete. Or am i missunderstanding flush ? So khugepaged is safe from GUP_fast
point of view like the comment, inside it, says.

> > So i think this is an unlikely race. I am not sure how to forbid it from
> > happening, except maybe in get_user_pages_fast() by checking pmd is still
> > valid after gup_pte_range().
>
> Switching to non-fast GUP would help :-P
>
> > > I don't see how we can deliver on the guarantee, especially with lockless
> > > GUP_fast.
> > >
> > > Or am I missing something important?
> >
> > So as said above, i think existing user of get_user_pages() are not sensitive
> > to the races you pointed above. I am sure there are some corner case where
> > the guarantee that GUP pin a page against a virtual address is violated but
> > i do not think they apply to any existing user of GUP.
> >
> > Note that i would personaly like that this existing assumption about GUP did
> > not exist. I hate it, but fact is that it does exist and nobody can remember
> > where the Doc did park the Delorean
>
> The drivers who want the guarantee can provide own ->mmap and have more
> control on what is visible in userspace.
>
> Alternatively, we have mmu_notifiers to track changes in userspace
> mappings.

Well you can't not rely on special vma here. Qemu alloc anonymous memory and
hand it over to guest, then a guest driver (ie runing in the guest not on the
host) try to map that memory and need valid DMA address for it, this is when
vfio (on the host kernel) starts pining memory of regular anonymous vma (on
the host). That same memory might back some special vma with ->mmap callback
but in the guest. Point is there is no driver on the host and no special vma.
>From host point of view this is anonymous memory, but from guest POV it is
just memory.

Requiring special vma would need major change to kvm and probably xen, in
respect on how they support things like PCI passthrough.

In existing workload, host kernel can not make assumption on how anonymous
memory is gonna be use.

Cheers,
Jérôme