Date:	Wed, 11 May 2016 11:56:39 +0200
From:	Mike Galbraith <umgwanakikbuti@...il.com>
To:	Yuyang Du <yuyang.du@...el.com>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, Chris Mason <clm@...com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Matt Fleming <matt@...eblueprint.co.uk>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: sched: tweak select_idle_sibling to look for idle threads

On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 09:23 +0800, Yuyang Du wrote:

> > Yeah, just like everything else, it'll cuts both ways (why you can't
> > win the sched game).  If I can believe tbench, at tasks=cpus, reducing
> > lag increased utilization and reduced latency a wee bit, as did the
> > reserve thing once a booboo got fixed up.
>
> Ok, so you have a secret IDLE_RESERVE? Good luck and show it, ;)

Nothing sexy, just cpmxchg(), with the obvious test/set/clear spots.

cmpxchg(&cpu_rq(cpu)->idle_latch, cpu, nr_cpu_ids)

> Depends on the goal.  For both, load lagging reality means the high
> > frequency component is squelched, meaning less migration cost, but also
> > higher latency due to stacking.  It's a tradeoff where Chris' latency
> > is everything" benchmark, and _maybe_ the real world load it's based
> > upon is on Peter's end of the rob Peter to pay Paul transaction.  The
> > benchmark says it definitely is, the real world load may have already
> > been fixed up by the select_idle_sibling() rewrite.
>
> Obviously, load avgs are good at balancing in a larger scale in a timeframe,
> so they should be used in comparing/balancing sd's not cpus. However, this
> is not the case currently: avgs are mixed with idle cpu/core selection, so
> I think better job can be done before and after select_idle_sibling().
>
> For example, I don't know what the complex wake_affine() is really doing for
> what. Am i missing something, you think?

wake_affine() just says no to keep us from pulling the whole load to
one cache, starting massive tug-o-war with LB and nuking throughput.
 Everybody wants hot data, but they can't all have it and scale.

	-Mike