Date:	Wed, 1 Jun 2016 23:38:30 +0200
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
To:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: zone_reclaimable() leads to livelock in
	__alloc_pages_slowpath()

On 06/01, Michal Hocko wrote:

> On Wed 01-06-16 01:56:26, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > > OK, you seem to be really seeing a different issue than me.
> >
> > quite possibly, but
> >
> > > My debugging
> > > patch was showing when nothing was really isolated from the LRU lists
> > > (both for shrink_{in}active_list.
> >
> > in my debugging session too. LRU_ACTIVE_FILE was empty, so there is nothing to
> > isolate even if shrink_active_list() is (wrongly called) with nr_to_scan != 0.
> > LRU_INACTIVE_FILE is not empty but it is not scanned because nr_to_scan == 0.
> >
> > But I am afraid I misunderstood you, and you meant something else.
>
> What I wanted to say is that my debugging hasn't shown a single case
> when nothing would be isolated. Which seems to be the case for you.

Ah, got it, thanks. Yes, I see that there is no "nothing scanned" in
oom-test.qcow_serial.log.gz from http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=146417822608902
you sent. I applied this patch and I do see "nothing scanned".

But, unlike you, I do not see the messages from free-pages... perhaps you
have more active tasks. To remind, I tested this with the single user-space
process, /bin/sh running with pid==1, then I did "while true; do ./oom; done".

So of course I do not know if you see another issue or the same, but now I am
wondering if the change in get_scan_count() above fixes the problem for you.

Probably not, but the fact you do not see "nothing scanned" can't prove this,
it is possible that shrink_*_list() was not called because vm_stat == 0 but
zone_reclaimable() sees the per-cpu counter. In this case 0db2cb8da89d can
make a difference, but see below.

> > > But I am thinking whether we should simply revert 0db2cb8da89d ("mm,
> > > vmscan: make zone_reclaimable_pages more precise") in 4.6 stable tree.
> > > Does that help as well?
> >
> > I'll test this tomorrow,

So it doesn't help.

> but even if it helps I am not sure... Yes, this
> > way zone_reclaimable() and get_scan_count() will see the same numbers, but
> > how this can help to make zone_reclaimable() == F at the end?
>
> It won't in some cases.

And unless I am notally confused  hit exactly this case.

> And that has been the case for ages so I do not
> think we need any steps for the stable.

OK, agreed.

> What meant to address is a
> potential regression caused by 0db2cb8da89d which would make this more
> likely because of the mismatch

Again, I can be easily wrong, but I do not see how 0db2cb8da89d could make
the things worse...

Unless both get_scan_count() and zone_reclaimable() use "snapshot" variant,
we can't guarantee zone_reclaimable() becomes false. The fact that they see
different numbers (after 0db2cb8da89d) doesn't really matter.

Anyway, this was already fixed, so lets forget it ;)

Oleg.