Date:	Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:00:59 +0200
From:	Henrik Austad <henrik@...tad.us>
To:	Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	alsa-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	henrik@...tad.us, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [very-RFC 0/8] TSN driver for the kernel

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 01:47:13PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> Henrik,

Hi Richard,

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 01:01:28AM +0200, Henrik Austad wrote:
> > There are at least one AVB-driver (the AV-part of TSN) in the kernel
> > already,
>
> Which driver is that?

drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/

> > however this driver aims to solve a wider scope as TSN can do
> > much more than just audio. A very basic ALSA-driver is added to the end
> > that allows you to play music between 2 machines using aplay in one end
> > and arecord | aplay on the other (some fiddling required) We have plans
> > for doing the same for v4l2 eventually (but there are other fishes to
> > fry first). The same goes for a TSN_SOCK type approach as well.
>
> Please, no new socket type for this.

The idea was to create a tsn-driver and then allow userspace to use it
either for media or for whatever else they'd like - and then a socket made
sense. Or so I thought :)

What is the rationale for no new sockets? To avoid cluttering? or do
sockets have a drawback I'm not aware of?

> > What remains
> > - tie to (g)PTP properly, currently using ktime_get() for presentation
> >   time
> > - get time from shim into TSN and vice versa
>
> ... and a whole lot more, see below.
>
> > - let shim create/manage buffer
>
> (BTW, shim is a terrible name for that.)

So something thin that is placed between to subystems should rather be
called.. flimsy? The point of the name was to indicate that it glued 2
pieces together. If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

> [sigh]
>
> People have been asking me about TSN and Linux, and we've made some
> thoughts about it.  The interest is there, and so I am glad to see
> discussion on this topic.

I'm not aware of any such discussions, could you point me to where TSN has
been discussed, it would be nice to see other peoples thought on the matter
(which was one of the ideas behind this series in the first place)

> Having said that, your series does not even begin to address the real
> issues.

Well, in all honesty, I did say so :) It is marked as "very-RFC", and not
for being included in the kernel as-is. I also made a short list of the
most crucial bits missing.

I know there are real issues, but solving these won't matter if you don't
have anything useful to do with it. I decided to start by adding a thin
ALSA-driver and then continue to work with the kernel infrastructure.
Having something that works-ish makes it a lot easier to test and get
others interested in, especially when you are not deeply involved in a
subsystem.

At one point you get to where you need input from other more intimate with
then inner workings of the different subsystems to see how things should be
created without making too much of a mess. So where we are :)

My primary motivation was to
a) gather feedback (which you have provided, and for which I am very
   grateful)
b) get the discussion going on how/if TSN should be added to the kernel

> I did not review the patches too carefully (because the
> important stuff is missing), but surely configfs is the wrong
> interface for this.

Why is configfs wrong?

Unless you want to implement discovery and enumeration and srp-negotiation
in the kernel, you need userspace to handle this. Once userspace has done
all that (found priority-codes, streamIDs, vlanIDs and all the required
bits), then userspace can create a new link. For that I find ConfigFS to be
quite useful and up to the task.

In my opinion, it also makes for a much tidier and saner interface than
some obscure dark-magic ioctl()

> In the end, we will be able to support TSN using
> the existing networking and audio interfaces, adding appropriate
> extensions.

I surely hope so, but as I'm not deep into the networking part of the
kernel finding those appropriate extensions is hard - which is why we
started writing a standalone module-

> Your patch features a buffer shared by networking and audio.  This
> isn't strictly necessary for TSN, and it may be harmful.

At one stage, data has to flow in/out of the network, and whoever's using
TSN probably need to store data somewhere as well, so you need some form of
buffering at one place in the path the data flows through.

That being said, one of the bits on my plate is to remove the
"TSN-hosted-buffer" and let TSN read/write data via the shim_ops. What the
best set of functions where are, remain to be seen, but it should provide a
way to move data from either a single frame or a "few frames" to the shime
(err.. <descriptive word for a thin layer slapped between 2 largers
subsystems in the kernel> ;)

> The
> Listeners are supposed to calculate the delay from frame reception to
> the DA conversion.  They can easily include the time needed for a user
> space program to parse the frames, copy (and combine/convert) the
> data, and re-start the audio transfer.  A flexible TSN implementation
> will leave all of the format and encoding task to the userland.  After
> all, TSN will some include more that just AV data, as you know.

Yes, or a ALSA-driver capable of same task. But yes, you need a way to
propagate the presentation-time (and maybe a timestamp for when a frame was
received) to the final destination of the samples. As far as I've been able
to tell, this is not possible in the kernel at the moment.

> Lets take a look at the big picture.  One aspect of TSN is already
> fully supported, namely the gPTP.  Using the linuxptp user stack and a
> modern kernel, you have a complete 802.1AS-2011 solution.

Yes, I thought so, which is also why I have put that to the side and why
I'm using ktime_get() for timestamps at the moment. There's also the issue
of hooking the time into ALSA/V4L2

> Here is what is missing to support audio TSN:
>
> * User Space
>
> 1. A proper userland stack for AVDECC, MAAP, FQTSS, and so on.  The
>    OpenAVB project does not offer much beyond simple examples.

yes, I've noticed. I've refered to an imaginary 'tsnctl' in the code, which
is supposed to be a "userspace catch-all for TSN-housekeeping". You
probably need a tsnd or similar as well to send keepalive frames etc.

> 2. A user space audio application that puts it all together, making
>    use of the services in #1, the linuxptp gPTP service, the ALSA
>    services, and the network connections.  This program will have all
>    the knowledge about packet formats, AV encodings, and the local HW
>    capabilities.  This program cannot yet be written, as we still need
>    some kernel work in the audio and networking subsystems.

Why? the whole point should be to make it as easy for userspace as
possible. If you need to tailor each individual media-appliation to use
AVB, it is not going to be very useful outside pro-Audio. Sure, there will
be challenges, but one key element here should be to *not* require
upgrading every single media application.

Then, back to the suggestion of adding a TSN_SOCKET (which you didn't like,
but can we agree on a term "raw interface to TSN", and mode of transport
can be defined later? ), was to let those applications that are TSN-aware
to do what they need to do, whether it is controlling robots or media
streams.

> * Kernel Space
>
> 1. Providing frames with a future transmit time.  For normal sockets,
>    this can be in the CMESG data.  For mmap'ed buffers, we will need a
>    new format.  (I think Arnd is working on a new layout.)

Ah, I was unaware of this, both CMESG and mmap buffers.

What is the accuracy of deferred transmit? If you have a class A stream,
you push out a new frame every 125 us, you may end up with
accuracy-constraints lower than that if you want to be able to state "send
frame X at time Y".

> 2. Time based qdisc for transmitted frames.  For MACs that support
>    this (like the i210), we only have to place the frame into the
>    correct queue.  For normal HW, we want to be able to reserve a time
>    window in which non-TSN frames are blocked.  This is some work, but
>    in the end it should be a generic solution that not only works
>    "perfectly" with TSN HW but also provides best effort service using
>    any NIC.

Yes, that would be very nice, and something like that is the ultimate goal
of the netdev_ops I added, even though it is a far way away from that now.

> 3. ALSA support for tunable AD/DA clocks.  The rate of the Listener's
>    DA clock must match that of the Talker and the other Listeners.
>    Either you adjust it in HW using a VCO or similar, or you do
>    adaptive sample rate conversion in the application. (And that is
>    another reason for *not* having a shared kernel buffer.)  For the
>    Talker, either you adjust the AD clock to match the PTP time, or
>    you measure the frequency offset.

Yes, this is something missing that must be adressed. And yes, I know
sharing a buffer the way the alsa-shim is currently doing is bad.

> 4. ALSA support for time triggered playback.  The patch series
>    completely ignore the critical issue of media clock recovery.  The
>    Listener must buffer the stream in order to play it exactly at a
>    specified time.  It cannot simply send the stream ASAP to the audio
>    HW, because some other Listener might need longer.  AFAICT, there
>    is nothing in ALSA that allows you to say, sample X should be
>    played at time Y.
>
> These are some ideas about implementing TSN.  Maybe some of it is
> wrong (especially about ALSA), but we definitely need a proper design
> to get the kernel parts right.  There is plenty of work to do, but we
> really don't need some hacky, in-kernel buffer with hard coded audio
> formats.

Well, the hard-coded audio format you refer to is placed with the avb_alsa
shim, avtp_du is part of the actual TSN-header so that is not audio-only.
And yes, it must be separated.

Apart from requiring media-applications to know about AVB, I don't think
we really disagree on anything. As I said, the main motivation for
submitting this now was to kick off a discussion, get some critical
response (your email was awesome - thanks!) and start steering the
development in the right direction.

Regards,

--
Henrik Austad

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)