Date:	Thu, 23 Jun 2016 14:05:07 -0400
From:	Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>
To:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
	Jann Horn <jann@...jh.net>
Cc:	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
	linux-man <linux-man@...r.kernel.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	linux-security-module <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Documenting ptrace access mode checking

On 06/21/2016 05:41 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hi Jann, Stephen, et al.
>
> Jann, since you recently committed a patch in this area, and Stephen,
> since you committed 006ebb40d3d much further back in time, I wonder if
> you might help me by reviewing the text below that I propose to add to
> the ptrace(2) man page, in order to document "ptrace access mode
> checking" that is performed in various parts of the kernel-user-space
> interface. Of course, I welcome input from anyone else as well.
>
> Here's the new ptrace(2) text. Any comments, technical or terminological
> fixes, other improvements, etc. are welcome.
>
> [[
>    Ptrace access mode checking
>        Various parts of the kernel-user-space API (not just  ptrace(2)
>        operations), require so-called "ptrace access mode permissions"
>        which are gated  by  Linux  Security  Modules  (LSMs)  such  as
>        SELinux,  Yama,  Smack,  or  the  default  LSM.  Prior to Linux
>        2.6.27, all such checks were of a  single  type.   Since  Linux
>        2.6.27, two access mode levels are distinguished:
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_READ
>               For  "read" operations or other operations that are less
>               dangerous, such as: get_robust_list(2); kcmp(2); reading
>               /proc/[pid]/auxv,         /proc/[pid]/environ,        or
>               /proc/[pid]/stat; or readlink(2) of  a  /proc/[pid]/ns/*
>               file.
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH
>               For  "write"  operations,  or  other operations that are
>               more    dangerous,    such    as:    ptrace    attaching
>               (PTRACE_ATTACH)    to   another   process   or   calling
>               process_vm_writev(2).   (PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH  was  effec‐
>               tively the default before Linux 2.6.27.)

That was the intent when the distinction was introduced, but it doesn't
appear to have been properly maintained, e.g. there is now a common
helper lock_trace() that is used for
/proc/pid/{stack,syscall,personality} but checks PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH, and
PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH is also used in timerslack_ns_write/show().  Likely
should review and make them consistent.  There was also some debate
about proper handling of /proc/pid/fd.  Arguably that one might belong
back in the _ATTACH camp.

>        Since  Linux  4.5, the above access mode checks may be combined
>        (ORed) with one of the following modifiers:
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_FSCREDS
>               Use the caller's filesystem UID  and  GID  (see  creden‐
>               tials(7)) or effective capabilities for LSM checks.
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_REALCREDS
>               Use the caller's real UID and GID or permitted capabili‐
>               ties for LSM checks.  This was effectively  the  default
>               before Linux 4.5.
>
>        Because  combining  one of the credential modifiers with one of
>        the aforementioned access modes is  typical,  some  macros  are
>        defined in the kernel sources for the combinations:
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_READ_FSCREDS
>               Defined as PTRACE_MODE_READ | PTRACE_MODE_FSCREDS.
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_READ_REALCREDS
>               Defined as PTRACE_MODE_READ | PTRACE_MODE_REALCREDS.
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH_FSCREDS
>               Defined as PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH | PTRACE_MODE_FSCREDS.
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH_REALCREDS
>               Defined as PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH | PTRACE_MODE_REALCREDS.
>
>        One further modifier can be ORed with the access mode:
>
>        PTRACE_MODE_NOAUDIT (since Linux 3.3)
>               Don't audit this access mode check.
>
> [I'd quite welcome some text to explain "auditing" here.]

Some ptrace access mode checks, such as checks when reading
/proc/pid/stat, merely cause the output to be filtered/sanitized rather
than an error to be returned to the caller.  In these cases, accessing
the file is not a security violation and there is no reason to generate
a security audit record.  This modifier suppresses the generation of
such an audit record for the particular access check.