Date:	Tue, 28 Jun 2016 08:11:36 +0200
From:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:	Jann Horn <jann@...jh.net>
Cc:	mtk.manpages@...il.com, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-man <linux-man@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-security-module <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>,
	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>
Subject: Re: Review of ptrace Yama ptrace_scope description

Hi Jann,

On 06/25/2016 04:30 PM, Jann Horn wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> So, last year, I added some documentation to ptrace(2) to describe
>> the Yama ptrace_scope file. I don't think I asked you for review
>> at the time, but in the light of other changes to the ptrace(2)
>> page, it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to ask you
>> to check the text below to see if anything is missing or could be
>> improved. Might you have a moment for that?
>>
>>    /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
>>        On systems with the Yama Linux Security Module (LSM)  installed
>>        (i.e.,  the  kernel  was configured with CONFIG_SECURITY_YAMA),
>>        the /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope  file  (available  since
>>        Linux  3.4)  can  be  used  to  restrict the ability to trace a
>>        process with ptrace(2) (and thus also the ability to use  tools
>>        such  as  strace(1) and gdb(1)).  The goal of such restrictions
>>        is to prevent attack escalation whereby a  compromised  process
>>        can  ptrace-attach  to  other  sensitive processes (e.g., a GPG
>>        agent or an SSH session) owned by the user  in  order  to  gain
>>        additional credentials and thus expand the scope of the attack.
>>
>>        More precisely, the Yama LSM limits two types of operations:
>>
>>        *  Any   operation   that   performs   a   ptrace  access  mode
>>           PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH     check—for      example,      ptrace()
>>           PTRACE_ATTACH.   (See the "Ptrace access mode checking" dis‐
>>           cussion above.)
>>
>>        *  ptrace() PTRACE_TRACEME.
>>
>>        A process that has the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability can update the
>>        /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope file with one of the follow‐
>>        ing values:
>>
>>        0 ("classic ptrace permissions")
>>               No additional restrictions on  operations  that  perform
>>               PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH  checks  (beyond those imposed by the
>>               commoncap and other LSMs).
>>
>>               The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.
>>
>>        1 ("restricted ptrace") [default value]
>>               When   performing   an   operation   that   requires   a
>>               PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH  check, the calling process must have
>>               a predefined relationship with the target  process.   By
>>               default,  the predefined relationship is that the target
>>               process must be a child of the caller.
>>
>>               A target process can employ the prctl(2)  PR_SET_PTRACER
>>               operation  to declare a different PID that is allowed to
>>               perform PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH  operations  on  the  target.
>>               See   the   kernel   source   file   Documentation/secu‐
>>               rity/Yama.txt for further details.
>>
>>               The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.
>
> (namespaced) CAP_SYS_PTRACE is also sufficient here.
>

> Both here and in the "admin-only attach" case, it is IMO important to
> note that creating a user namespace effectively removes the Yama
> protection because the owner of a namespace, when accessing its
> contents from outside, is relatively capable.
>
> This means that when a process tries to use namespaces to sandbox
> itself, it inadvertently makes itself more accessible.
>
> (This could probably be worked around in the kernel, but such a
> workaround would likely not be default, but rather opt-in via a new

Tanks for catching this!

So I've made that section of text:

        A  process  that  has the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability can update the
        /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope file with one of the  following
        values:

        0 ("classic ptrace permissions")
               No  additional  restrictions  on  operations  that  perform
               PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH checks (beyond those imposed by the com‐
               moncap and other LSMs).

               The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.

        1 ("restricted ptrace") [default value]
               When    performing    an    operation   that   requires   a
               PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH check, the calling process  must  either
               have the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability in the user namespace of
               the target process or it  have  a  predefined  relationship
               with  the target process.  By default, the predefined rela‐
               tionship is that the target process must be a child of  the
               caller.

               A  target  process  can  employ the prctl(2) PR_SET_PTRACER
               operation to declare a different PID  that  is  allowed  to
               perform  PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH  operations on the target.  See
               the kernel source file Documentation/security/Yama.txt  for
               further details.

               The use of PTRACE_TRACEME is unchanged.

        2 ("admin-only attach")
               Only  processes  with  the CAP_SYS_PTRACE capability in the
               user  namespace  of  the   target   process   may   perform
               PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH operations or trace children that employ
               PTRACE_TRACEME.

        3 ("no attach")
               No process may  perform  PTRACE_MODE_ATTACH  operations  or
               trace children that employ PTRACE_TRACEME.

               Once  this value has been written to the file, it cannot be
               changed.

        With respect to values 1 and 2, note that creating a  user  names‐
        pace effectively removes the Yama protection, because the owner of
        a  namespace,  when  accessing  its  members  from  outside,   has
        CAP_SYS_PTRACE  within  the  namespace.   This  means  that when a
        process tries to use namespaces to  sandbox  itself,  it  inadver‐
        tently weakens the protections offered by the Yama LSM.

Okay?

Cheers,

Michael

--