Date:	Mon, 11 Jul 2016 07:50:41 -0500
From:	Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@...onical.com>
To:	Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>
Cc:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
	Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@...marydata.com>,
	Anna Schumaker <anna.schumaker@...app.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Tycho Andersen <tycho.andersen@...onical.com>
Subject: Re: Hang due to nfs letting tasks freeze with locked inodes

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 07:03:31AM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-07-11 at 09:23 +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > It has been a while since I looked at that code, but IIRC, that could
> > > block the freezer for up to 15s, which is a significant portion of the
> > > 20s that you get before the freezer gives up.
> >
> > But how does that differ from the situation when the freezer has to give
> > up on the timeout because another task fails due to lock dependency.
> >
> > As Trond and Dave have written in other emails. It is really danngerous
> > to freeze a task while it is holding locks and other resources.
>
> It's not really dangerous if you're freezing every task on the host.
> Sure, you're freezing with locks held, but everything else is freezing
> too, so nothing will be contending for those locks.

Unless you have tasks either already waiting on those locks or that will
attaempt to lock them before calling try_to_freeze. That happens to be
the case in this cgroup freezer hang too, all the tasks stuck waiting on
the i_mutex are p being frozen.

> I'm not at all opposed to changing how all of that works. My only
> stipulation is that we not break the ability to reliably suspend a host
> that is actively using an NFS mount. If you can come up with a way to
> do that that also works for freezing cgroups, then I'm all for it.

The deadlock that we've seen should apply equally to suspend and to the
cgroup freezer. The only difference is that suspend will eventually time
out and abort the suspend whereas the cgroup freezer does not.

Seth