Date:	Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:55:06 +0200
From:	Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@...gle.com>
To:	Andrey Ryabinin <aryabinin@...tuozzo.com>
Cc:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	kasan-dev <kasan-dev@...glegroups.com>, X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>,
	Alexander Potapenko <glider@...gle.com>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
Subject: Re: KASAN vs vmapped stacks

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Andrey Ryabinin
<aryabinin@...tuozzo.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/2016 01:29 PM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Andrey Ryabinin
>> <aryabinin@...tuozzo.com> wrote:

>>> KASAN initialized quite early, before any non-init task exists. The crash happens
>>> because non-init task writes to write-protected zero shadow.
>>> Currently KASAN doesn't allocate shadow memory for vmalloc addresses, we just map single
>>> zero page and write protect it.

>>> Allocate shadow memory which backs vmalloc/vmap allocations is the only way to fix this.
>>> I can do this, and post the patches soon enough.
>>
>> Do you want to allocate it eagerly? Won't it consume 1/8 of vmalloc
>> range worth of physical memory?
>>

> I have no idea what do you mean by eager allocation.

For physical memory we preallocate whole shadow range at startup. This
consumes 1/8 of physical memory. That's what I meant by eager
allocation. Lazy allocation would be to allocate shadow for memory
when it's first allocated/used.

> What we need is to allocate shadow per vmalloc()/vmap() call if such allocation requires non-zero shadow, like stacks or modules.
> Sometimes we certainly know that the whole shadow page will contain only zeros. In such cases we can use zero page to not waste memory.

Do you want to add a gfp_t flag that says "this range requires writable shadow"?
Note that shadow for vmalloc memory will consume from 2/8 to 9/8,
because we back both virtual and physical addresses and because shadow
can be allocated only with page granularity. That's probably fine if
it is used only for kernel stacks.