Date:	Mon, 25 Jul 2016 13:36:05 -0500
From:	David Lechner <david@...hnology.com>
To:	linux-leds@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Richard Purdie <rpurdie@...ys.net>,
	Jacek Anaszewski <j.anaszewski@...sung.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
	Joel Becker <jlbec@...lplan.org>
Subject: [RFC] User-defined leds

short version: I have a use case for leds where I want to be able to use
the triggers in the leds subsystem without having a physical hardware led.

long version: I am working on a program to make one embedded system
(http://fatcatlab.com/product/evb/) compatible with another
(http://mindstorms.lego.com). One has physical red/green LEDs, that use
the gpio leds driver to control them. The other system does not have
physical leds. However, it does have a color screen. So, my idea is
to create virtual LEDs on the screen that emulate the physical LEDs on
the other device.

I would like to make a userspace program that works the same on both
devices. If the leds were simple on-off, then it would of course be
simpler to make the virtual leds completely in userspace. However, we
are currently using other triggers (disk activity/heatbeat/etc.) with
the leds. I would like for the virtual LEDs to be able to use these
triggers as well.

Proposed implementation:

My thought is to create a new module that can be used to create
user-defined leds using configfs. Below is some sample code that I have
been experimenting with. Be aware, it does not quite match the
description I am about to give.

In configfs you simply create a new node for each leds and assign the
name. We could have separate attributes for devicename, color and
function to enforce the naming convention or we could just allow
arbitrary names.

Once the leds class devices are configured in configfs and exported, it
will create the usual leds class device in sysfs as well as a character
device that can be polled by the userspace program. The character device
would work a bit like evdev where any time the brightness is changed, it
spits out an event on the character device.

It would probably be simplest to have a single character device for all
virtual leds. In this case the leds device name or some other id would
need to be part of the event structure.

Any thoughts? Does this seem like a sane thing to do? Or maybe there is
a different way to accomplish the same thing using existing drivers?

---

/*
  * User-defined LEDs
  *
  * Copyright (C) 2016 David Lechner <david@...hnology.com>
  *
  * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
  * published by the Free Software Foundation.

  * This program is distributed "as is" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY of any
  * kind, whether express or implied; without even the implied warranty
  * of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
  */

/*
  * Note: The comment block below is used to generate docs on the ev3dev
website.
  * Use kramdown (markdown) syntax. Use a '.' as a placeholder when
blank lines
  * or leading whitespace is important for the markdown syntax.
  */

/**
  * DOC: website
  *
  * User-defined LEDs
  *
  * TODO
  */

#include <linux/device.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/uaccess.h>

#include "user_led.h"

#define DEVICE_NAME "user_led"

static int major_dev_num;

#define to_user_led(_dev) container_of(_dev, struct user_led, led_cdev)

static void user_led_brightness_set(struct led_classdev *led_cdev,
				    enum led_brightness brightness)
{
	struct user_led *led = to_user_led(led_cdev);

	led->led_cdev.brightness = brightness;
	/* TODO: add support for poll() and notify here */
}

int user_led_register(struct user_led *led, struct device *parent)
{
	int err;

	if (WARN_ON(!parent))
		return -EINVAL;

	memset(&led->led_cdev, 0, sizeof(led->led_cdev));
	led->led_cdev.name = led->name;
	led->led_cdev.max_brightness = LED_FULL;
	led->led_cdev.brightness_set = user_led_brightness_set;

	err = led_classdev_register(parent, &led->led_cdev);
	if (err < 0)
		return err;

	memset(&led->cdev, 0, sizeof(led->cdev));
	/* TODO: register character device here */

	dev_info(parent, "Registered '%s'\n", led->name);

	return 0;
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(user_led_register);

void user_led_unregister(struct user_led *led)
{
	struct device *parent = led->led_cdev.dev->parent;

	led_classdev_unregister(&led->led_cdev);
	dev_info(parent, "Unregistered '%s'\n", led->name);
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(user_led_unregister);

static ssize_t user_led_read(struct file *file, char __user *buffer,
			     size_t count, loff_t *ptr)
{
	struct user_led *led = file->private_data;

	if (!count)
		return 0;

	count = min_t(size_t, count, sizeof(enum led_brightness));
	count -= copy_to_user(buffer, &led->led_cdev.brightness, count);

	return count;
}

static int user_led_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)
{
	struct user_led *led =
		container_of(inode->i_cdev, struct user_led, cdev);

	file->private_data = led;

	return 0;
}

static int user_led_release(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)
{
	file->private_data = NULL;

	return 0;
}

static const struct file_operations user_led_fops = {
	.read		= user_led_read,
	.open		= user_led_open,
	.release	= user_led_release,
};

static int __init user_led_init(void)
{
	major_dev_num = register_chrdev(0, DEVICE_NAME, &user_led_fops);
	if (major_dev_num < 0) {
		pr_err("Failed to register user_led chrdev\n");
		return major_dev_num;
	}

	return 0;
}
module_init(user_led_init);

static void __exit user_led_exit(void)
{
	unregister_chrdev(major_dev_num, DEVICE_NAME);
}
module_exit(user_led_exit);

MODULE_DESCRIPTION("User-defined LEGO led device class");
MODULE_AUTHOR("David Lechner <david@...hnology.com>");
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");