Date:   Fri, 26 Aug 2016 10:43:43 +0200
From:   Gregory CLEMENT <gregory.clement@...e-electrons.com>
To:     Ralph Sennhauser <ralph.sennhauser@...il.com>
Cc:     Jason Cooper <jason@...edaemon.net>,
        Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...e-electrons.com>,
        "linux-kernel\@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@...lub.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: [Regression?] Commit cb4f71c429 deliberately changes order of network interfaces

Hi Ralph,

 On jeu., août 25 2016, Ralph Sennhauser <ralph.sennhauser@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason.
>
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:48:36 +0000
> Jason Cooper <jason@...edaemon.net> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:41:02PM +0200, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:

>> > We both have a conflict of interest here, so your offer in an other
>> > message to let the platform maintainers decide is appreciated.
>>
>> Ok, I'm going to jump in here with the caveats that a) I don't mind
>> being overruled, and b) I'm not going to participate in a never-ending
>> thread on this topic.  ;-)
>
> I'm also not interested in a never ending thread. It's moot that udev

I am the one who applied this commit.

First it is really unfortunate this problem was not raised when this
patch was discussed especially because openwrt was part of the
discussion:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2016-February/411382.html

Then, the main motivation for merging this patch was to ease the work of
people doing bring-up of new board using Armada 38x SoCs. When doing this
we just rely on datasheet and U-Boot and it occurred that the way the Soc
was designed they put the first GMAC at a higher address to the second
one. Respecting this order helps low level development.

However for more advanced configuration we expect that more clever tools
such as udev should be used. (and Lennart confirm that it is still
working).

Also note that in the past we considered to being able to modify the
order of the ethernet device from the device tree by using the
alias. But the idea was rejected by David Miller (the network subsystem
maintainer) because this kind of policy should be done at userspace level.

For these reasons I won't revert this commit.

Gregory

--
Gregory Clement, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com