Date:   Sat, 27 Aug 2016 18:06:50 -0500
From:   Theodore Kilgore <kilgota@...urn.edu>
To:     Randy Li <randy.li@...k-chips.com>
CC:     Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@...all.nl>,
        <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        <linux-media@...r.kernel.org>,
        "ayaka@...lik.info" <ayaka@...lik.info>
Subject: Re: Plan to support Rockchip VPU in DRM, is it a good idea

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016, Randy Li wrote:

> [...]
>> pipeline. Putting codec support in different subsystems will just make
>> userspace software much harder to write.
>>
>> One of the codecs that was posted to linux-media was actually from
>> Rockchip:
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/29/861
>>
>> There is also a libVA driver (I think) that sits on top of it:
>>
>> https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rockchip-va-driver/tree/v4l2-libvpu
> It is old version, I am the author of this
> https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rockchip-va-driver
>>
>> For the Allwinner a patch series was posted yesterday:
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/8/25/246
>>
>> They created a pretty generic libVA userspace that looks very promising at
>> first glance.
>>
>> What these have in common is that they depend on the Request API and Frame
>> API,
>> neither of which has been merged. The problem is that the Request API
>> requires
>> more work since not only controls have to be part of a request, but also
>> formats,
>> selection rectangles, and even dynamic routing changes. While that is not
>> relevant
>> for codecs, it is relevant for Android CameraHAL in general and complex
>> devices
>> like Google's Project Ara.
> Actually just as the Intel did, our hardware decoder/encoder need full
> settings for them, most of them are relevant to the codec. You may notice
> that there is four extra control need to be set before. If the libvpu(a
> helper library we offered to parse each slice to generate decoder settings)
> is remove(in process now, only three decoder settings can't got from VA-API
> directly), it would be more clearly.
> We really a lots decoder settings information to make the decoder work.
>>
>> This is being worked on, but it is simply not yet ready. The core V4L2
>> developers
>> involved in this plan to discuss this on the Monday before the ELCE in
>> Berlin,
>> to see if we can fast track this work somehow so this support can be
>> merged.
>>
> I am glad to hear that. I hope that I could have an opportunity to show our
> problems.
>> If there are missing features in V4L2 (other that the two APIs discussed
>> above)
>> that prevent you from creating a good driver, then please discuss that with
>> us.
>> We are always open to suggestions and improvements and want to work with
>> you on
>> that.
> I have a few experience with the s5p-mfc, and I do wrote a V4L2 encoder
> plugin for Gstreamer.  I don't think the V4L2 is good place for us stateless
> video processor, unless it would break the present implementation.
>
>  The stateful and stateless are operated quite differently. The stateless
> must parse the header and set those settings for every frames.

Then one needs to incorporate in the driver a way to detect whether one
has to support "stateless" or "stateful." There must be a way to do this
kind of thing, even if it is not documented by anybody. One way, perhaps,
might be to look at the data and see if there is any header, or not. Then
parse the header if it is present, otherwise don't.

> The request data may quite different from vendor to vendor, even chip to
> chip.

By "request data" and "chip to chip" I assume you mean the initialization
of a video chip, or something analogous or similar. Believe it or not,
this kind of problem has been seen before and dealt with. Look at
drivers/media/usb/gspca/mr97310a.c for an example. The exact problem that
we faced was that different cameras had the same USB controller chip (and
therefore shared a USB vendor:product code), but they had different sensor
chips with different initialization sequences. The camera vendors merely
slipped a Windows driver CD into each package, and sometimes they grabbed
the wrong CD, too. Evidence of that was that Google used to give a lot of
links to complaints about needing a functioning Windows driver for certain
cheap cameras. Unless things have changed, the Linux driver for these
cameras is the only one in existence for any operating system which will
tell these cameras apart and send the right initialization sequence.
Moreover, the method for detecting the chipset was completely undocumented
by the manufacturers, who did not even acknowledge requests for
information.

It is impossible to make a common way to send those settings to
> driver.For the samsung MFC, you don't need to do any parse work at all.

Then, as I said, you need to write driver code which will know one of them
from another. Surely you can do this.

Even though I continue to subscribe to the linux-media list and read with
interest much of what I receive, I have not written much code for several
years. I have two excuses. First, I am 75 years old now. Second, I have a
full-time job doing something else.

But you work for a chip vendor. Thus on the one hand you and your company
are certainly deserving of praise for troubling yourselves to communicate
with Linux kernel developers at all. There are those who do not (see above
for an example). But on the other hand you are dealing with very
experienced people, who have written a lot of code and have done a lot of
plannihg about what should go where in what is now a huge mass of kernel
code, and who are rightly concerned that this code should be accessible
and maintainable by someone else when they are gone from the scene.

I am not one of the main developers here, so perhaps you will be more
willing to take it from me if I say that you and your company need to take
seriously what those main developers are telling you. They have their
reasons, and their reasons are very good reasons.

Theodore Kilgore