Date:   Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:33:10 -0400
From:   Rich Kulawiec <rsk@....org>
To:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 04:53:53PM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> Instead of relying on external resources to archive the mailing
> lists, would it be reasonable/feasible to have kernel.org archive
> the various kernel related mailing lists?

Yes, it's feasible.  It's also feasible to migrate the various mailing
lists hosted at kernel.org to a currently-supported mailing list manager.
(Majordomo development stopped years ago.)  Mailman is a good choice,
as it's actively developed and maintained, has a feature set appropriate
for this use, includes various built-in archiving facilities and can be
hooked into others, is stable, is understood and used by a lot of people
(including NANOG, the IETF, many Linux distributions, etc.).

My suggestion -- which I'm willing to help out with, of course -- is that
lists.kernel.org be used for an instance of Mailman and that all the
current mailing lists be migrated there and cut over to it.  This should
not only clobber the archiving issue, but it will help with some of
the recurring spam problems that make it past MTA-layer defenses.

---rsk