Date:   Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:51:59 +0200
From:   Roland Singer <roland.singer@...ertbit.com>
To:     Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov@...il.com>
Cc:     Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
        "Linux-Kernel@...r. Kernel. Org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        ML dri-devel <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin@...m.mit.edu>,
        peter@...ensteyn.nl
Subject: Re: Kernel Freeze with American Megatrends BIOS

Am 30.08.2016 um 20:09 schrieb Emil Velikov:
> I second Ilia here. Using bbswitch in conjunction with any driver (be
> that nouveau or the proprietary one) is a bad idea.

I removed bbswitch from my system and will use vgaswitcheroo to check
the GPU power state from now.

> (If Ilia's suggestions does not help) Confirm if the freeze is due
> to/as the GPU is powered on or off.

Yeah, the freeze is caused by the switched off GPU.
Waited for the nouveau driver to switch it off, before starting
the graphical user interface...

> Out of curiosity: how did you force X to ignore the device ?

I tried to tell X11 to ignore the device with the following
configuration:

  Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Nvidia"
      VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
      Option      "Ignore" "true"
  EndSection

> You can check if it's the boot_vga assumption with
> cat /sys/class/drm/card*/device/{boot_vga,vendor}
> If the output changes them my assumption holds true.

Output did not change:

  1
  0x8086

0x8086 is the vendor ID of intel. So that's ok...