Date:   Fri, 16 Sep 2016 18:30:27 -0400
From:   Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@...rier-mta.com>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     Laura Abbott <labbott@...hat.com>, Brent <fix@...realm.com>,
        Konstantin Khlebnikov <koct9i@...il.com>,
        Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...nvz.org>,
        Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@...ibm.com>,
        linux-mm@...ck.org <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] RLIMIT_DATA crashes named

Linus Torvalds writes:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Laura Abbott <labbott@...hat.com> wrote:
> >
> > As far as I can tell this isn't Fedora specific.
>
> Some googling does seem to say that "datalimit 20M" and "named.conf"
> ends up being some really old default that just gets endlessly copied.
>
> So no, it's not Fedora-specific per se.

I'll confirm that.

It's been sitting in my named.conf for at least ten years. I don't remember
where it came from. The Google sources are very likely. I probably copied
it, from some tutorial.

> But I suspect most people with a named.conf did either
>
>  (a) get it from their distro and didn't change it and so if the
> distro just updates theirs, things will automatically "just work"
>
>  (b) actually did write their own (or at least edited it), and knows
> what they are doing, and have absolutely no problem removing or
> updating that datalimit thing.

(b) in my case. Now that the root cause is mostly known, I'll just bump it
up.

> The really annoying thing seems to be that the kernel message has been
> hidden too much. IOW, Sam in his bugzilla report clearly found the
> system messages with
>
>     Sep 10 07:38:23 shorty systemd-coredump: Process 1651 (named) of
> user 25 dumped core.
>
> but for some reason never noticed the kernel saying (quoting Jason):
>
>    mmap: named (593): VmData 27566080 exceed data ulimit 20971520.
> Update limits or use boot option ignore_rlimit_data
>
> at the same time.
>
> Ok, the kernel only says it *once*. Maybe Sam had it in his logs, but
> didn't notice the initial failure (which would have had the kernel
> message too), and he then looked at the logs for when he tried to
> re-start.

I still have this log file. Looking over it, this is indeed what happened.

> Or maybe the system logs don't have those kernel messages, which would
> be a disaster.
>
> So maybe we should just change the "pr_warn_once()" into
> "pr_warn_ratelimited()", except the default rate limits for that are
> wrong (we'd perhaps want something like "at most once every minute" or
> similar, while the default rate limits are along the lines of "max 10
> lines every 5 _seconds_").
>
> Sam, do you end up seeing the kernel warning in your logs if you just

Yes, I found it.

Sep 10 07:36:29 shorty kernel: mmap: named (1108): VmData 52588544 exceed
data ulimit 20971520. Update limits or use boot option ignore_rlimit_data.

Now that I know what to search for: this appeared about 300 lines earlier in
/var/log/messages.

When trying to figure out what's going on with named, searching backwards in
time, and finding the logged segault @07:38:23, IIRC I only looked as far
back until the @07:38:23 timestamp started, and did not see anything other
the apparent segfault. Before that, /var/log/messages was full of other
noise. The original named that was launched two minutes earlier was ancient
history, by then.

All I saw was that named was apparently segfaulting after booting a new
kernel. Ok, boot back to the previous kernel, search bugzilla to see if it
was reported already, and, if not, create it yourself. That's what happened.