Date:   Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:00:53 +0800
From:   Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...el.com>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Philip Li <philip.li@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [linus:master] BUILD REGRESSION
 2a26d99b251b8625d27aed14e97fc10707a3a81f

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 12:58:14PM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
>Hi Linus,
>
>On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 01:25:50PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM, kbuild test robot
>><fengguang.wu@...el.com> wrote:
>>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git  master
>>> 2a26d99b251b8625d27aed14e97fc10707a3a81f  Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net
>>
>>Hmm. The build errors seem to be pretty independent of that merge,
>>including internal compiler errors etc.
>
>This "BUILD REGRESSION" report lists errors in all commits of a branch
>-- ie. not only the showed HEAD commit. Sure "all commits" will be too
>huge for the mainline kernel, so there will be limits applied.
>
>>Did perhaps something change in the kbuild test robot?
>
>Recently we lowered the threshold to 2 before sending unsolicited
>reports like this. That threshold means when we find >= 3 errors in a
>tree, only the first 2 will be reported in the regular way (reporting
>to the first bad commit). The more errors will be send in a summary
>"BUILD REGRESSION" email listing all the triggered errors.
>
>That's a trick to avoid flooding possibly large number of duplicate
>error reports to LKML while avoiding hiding possibly non-duplicate
>errors. It works well for normal branches, however looks less
>effective for linus/master because here we have less clue about the
>origin of errors.
>
>So sorry -- this report is a noise. The fix could be to raise the
>reporting threshold significantly for linus/master. It's also possible
>some bug in the 0day-bot triggered this report unexpectedly.

Ah the root cause is these reminding reports for old errors

https://lists.01.org/pipermail/kbuild-all/2016-October/026922.html
https://lists.01.org/pipermail/kbuild-all/2016-October/025857.html
https://lists.01.org/pipermail/kbuild-all/2016-October/026677.html

There are some few of them, which triggered the threshold logic.

Regards,
Fengguang