Date:   Thu, 17 Nov 2016 11:25:38 -0500
From:   James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>
To:     Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...radead.org>,
        Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Cc:     ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org,
        linux-doc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-media@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Including images on Sphinx documents

On Thu, 2016-11-17 at 13:16 -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> Em Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:52:44 -0500
> Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu> escreveu:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:07:15PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > [adding Linus for clarification]
> > >
> > > I understood the concern as being about binary files that you
> > > cannot
> > > modify with classic 'patch', which is a separate issue.
> >
> > I think the other complaint is that the image files aren't "source"
> > in
> > the proper term, since they are *not* the preferred form for
> > modification --- that's the svg files.  Beyond the license
> > compliance
> > issues (which are satisified because the .svg files are included in
> > the git tree), there is the SCM cleaniless argument of not
> > including
> > generated files in the distribution, since this increases the
> > opportunites for the "real" source file and the generated source
> > file
> > to get out of sync.  (As just one example, if the patch can't
> > represent the change to binary file.)
> >
> > I do check in generated files on occasion --- usually because I
> > don't
> > trust autoconf to be a stable in terms of generating a correct
> > configure file from a configure.in across different versions of
> > autoconf and different macro libraries that might be installed on
> > the
> > system.  So this isn't a hard and fast rule by any means (although
> > Linus may be more strict than I on that issue).
> >
> > I don't understand why it's so terrible to have generate the image
> > file from the .svg file in a Makefile rule, and then copy it
> > somewhere
> > else if Sphinx is too dumb to fetch it from the normal location?
>
> The images whose source are in .svg are now generated via Makefile
> for the PDF output (after my patches, already applied to the docs
> -next
> tree).
>
> So, the problem that remains is for those images whose source
> is a bitmap. If we want to stick with the Sphinx supported formats,
> we have only two options for bitmaps: jpg or png. We could eventually
> use uuencode or base64 to make sure that the patches won't use
> git binary diff extension, or, as Arnd proposed, use a portable
> bitmap format, in ascii, converting via Makefile, but losing
> the alpha channel with makes the background transparent.

If it can use svg, why not use that?  SVG files can be a simple xml
wrapper around a wide variety of graphic image formats which are
embedded in the svg using the data-uri format, you know ...

Anything that handles SVGs should be able to handle all the embeddable
image formats, which should give you a way around image restrictions
whatever it is would otherwise have.

James