Date:   Sat, 19 Nov 2016 14:56:54 +0100
From:   Rabin Vincent <rabin@....in>
To:     Joao Pinto <Joao.Pinto@...opsys.com>
Cc:     mued dib <kreptor@...il.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
        jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com, jiri@...lanox.com,
        saeedm@...lanox.com, idosch@...lanox.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, CARLOS.PALMINHA@...opsys.com,
        andreas.irestal@...s.com, peppe.cavallaro@...com,
        alexandre.torgue@...com, lars.persson@...s.com
Subject: Re: Synopsys Ethernet QoS Driver

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 02:20:27PM +0000, Joao Pinto wrote:
> For now we are interesting in improving the synopsys QoS driver under
> /nect/ethernet/synopsys. For now the driver structure consists of a single file
> called dwc_eth_qos.c, containing synopsys ethernet qos common ops and platform
> related stuff.
>
> Our strategy would be:
>
> a) Implement a platform glue driver (dwc_eth_qos_pltfm.c)
> b) Implement a pci glue driver (dwc_eth_qos_pci.c)
> c) Implement a "core driver" (dwc_eth_qos.c) that would only have Ethernet QoS
> related stuff to be reused by the platform / pci drivers
> d) Add a set of features to the "core driver" that we have available internally

Note that there are actually two drivers in mainline for this hardware:

 drivers/net/ethernet/synopsis/
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/

(See http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2016/02/29/127)

The former only supports 4.x of the hardware.

The later supports 4.x and 3.x and already has a platform glue driver
with support for several platforms, a PCI glue driver, and a core driver
with several features not present in the former (for example: TX/RX
interrupt coalescing, EEE, PTP).

Have you evaluated both drivers?  Why have you decided to work on the
former rather than the latter?