Date:   Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:11:49 +0100
From:   Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        David Gibson <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        Liav Rehana <liavr@...lanox.com>,
        Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@...lanox.com>,
        Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>,
        Parit Bhargava <prarit@...hat.com>,
        Laurent Vivier <lvivier@...hat.com>,
        "Christopher S. Hall" <christopher.s.hall@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 5/6] [RFD] timekeeping: Provide optional 128bit math

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 09:30:11AM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > Just for giggles, on tilegx the branch is actually slower than doing the
> > > mult unconditionally.
> > >
> > > The problem is that the two multiplies would otherwise completely
> > > pipeline, whereas with the conditional you serialize them.

> Only when using x86_64 instructions, once I fixed the i386 variant it
> was slower, probably due to register pressure and the like.

OK, maybe I messed up on i386, although I've yet to try running that on
an actual 32bit machine. I also need to dig up a small core, who knows
what atoms do.

Results are in cycles, average over 1e6 loops. I think the 128 results
are around 1 cycle, measurements are maybe a tad wobbly because I
compare against an empty loop to correct measurement overhead.

root@...-ep:~/tmp# for i in -m64 -m32 -mx32; do echo $i ; gcc -O3 $i -o mult mult.c -lm; ./mult ; done

-m64
cond: avg: 5.487738 +- 0.004152
uncond: avg: 4.495690 +- 0.006009