Date:   Sat, 10 Dec 2016 21:05:53 -0500
From:   Don Dutile <ddutile@...hat.com>
To:     Auger Eric <eric.auger@...hat.com>, eric.auger.pro@...il.com,
        christoffer.dall@...aro.org, marc.zyngier@....com,
        robin.murphy@....com, alex.williamson@...hat.com,
        will.deacon@....com, joro@...tes.org, tglx@...utronix.de,
        jason@...edaemon.net, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Cc:     kvm@...r.kernel.org, drjones@...hat.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, pranav.sawargaonkar@...il.com,
        iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org, punit.agrawal@....com,
        diana.craciun@....com
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 00/10] KVM PCIe/MSI passthrough on ARM/ARM64 and IOVA
 reserved regions

On 12/08/2016 04:36 AM, Auger Eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 15/11/2016 14:09, Eric Auger wrote:
>> Following LPC discussions, we now report reserved regions through
>> iommu-group sysfs reserved_regions attribute file.
>

> While I am respinning this series into v4, here is a tentative summary
> of technical topics for which no consensus was reached at this point.
>
> 1) Shall we report the usable IOVA range instead of reserved IOVA
>     ranges. Not discussed at/after LPC.
>     x I currently report reserved regions. Alex expressed the need to
>       report the full usable IOVA range instead (x86 min-max range
>       minus MSI APIC window). I think this is meaningful for ARM
>       too where arm-smmu might not support the full 64b range.
>     x Any objection we report the usable IOVA regions instead?
>
> 2) Shall the kernel check collision with MSI window* when userspace
>     calls VFIO_IOMMU_MAP_DMA?
>     Joerg/Will No; Alex yes
>     *for IOVA regions consumed downstream to the IOMMU: everyone says NO
>
> 3) RMRR reporting in the iommu group sysfs? Joerg: yes; Don: no
Um, I'm missing context, but the only thing I recall saying no to wrt RMRR
is that _any_ device that has an RMRR cannot be assigned to a guest.
Or, are you saying, RMRR's should be exposed in the guest os?  if so, then
you have my 'no' there.

>     My current series does not expose them in iommu group sysfs.
>     I understand we can expose the RMRR regions in the iomm group sysfs
>     without necessarily supporting RMRR requiring device assignment.
This sentence doesn't make sense to me.
Can you try re-wording it?
I can't tell what RMRR has to do w/device assignment, other than what I said above.
Exposing RMRR's in sysfs is not an issue in general.