Date:   Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:17:27 +0000
From:   Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>
To:     Mason <slash.tmp@...e.fr>
Cc:     Vinod Koul <vinod.koul@...el.com>,
        Sebastian Frias <sf84@...oste.net>,
        Russell King <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
        dmaengine@...r.kernel.org,
        Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux ARM <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        Jon Mason <jdmason@...zu.us>,
        Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@...afoo.de>,
        Lee Jones <lee.jones@...aro.org>,
        Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Maxime Ripard <maxime.ripard@...e-electrons.com>,
        Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
        Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@...com>,
        Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <b.zolnierkie@...sung.com>,
        Thibaud Cornic <thibaud_cornic@...madesigns.com>
Subject: Re: Tearing down DMA transfer setup after DMA client has finished

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 07:23:17PM +0100, Mason wrote:
> On 09/12/2016 18:56, Vinod Koul wrote:

> > Right, but in that case the fallback would be PIO mode, and if that is
> > not availble (IIRC some f your devices don't) then reject the usage with
> > EAGAIN.

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how that would help.
> Take the NAND Flash controller driver, for instance. PIO is not
> an option, because the ECC engine is tied to DMA.

> And failing with -EAGAIN doesn't help the busy looping situation.
> The caller should be put on some kind of queue to wait for a
> "channel ready" event.

Even without the tie into ECC being an issue it seems like falling back
to PIO could produce poor results at the system level - it's likely that
the PIO would be very expensive and take longer than waiting would've
done, increasing the burden on the CPU and slowing things down overall
for userspace.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (485 bytes)