Date:   Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:57:42 +1030
From:   Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>
To:     "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...nel.org>, shuah@...nel.org,
        jeyu@...hat.com, ebiederm@...ssion.com, dmitry.torokhov@...il.com,
        acme@...hat.com, corbet@....net
Cc:     martin.wilck@...e.com, mmarek@...e.com, pmladek@...e.com,
        hare@...e.com, rwright@....com, jeffm@...e.com, DSterba@...e.com,
        fdmanana@...e.com, neilb@...e.com, linux@...ck-us.net,
        rgoldwyn@...e.com, subashab@...eaurora.org, xypron.glpk@....de,
        keescook@...omium.org, atomlin@...hat.com, mbenes@...e.cz,
        paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, dan.j.williams@...el.com,
        jpoimboe@...hat.com, davem@...emloft.net, mingo@...hat.com,
        akpm@...ux-foundation.org, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
        linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 10/10] kmod: add a sanity check on module loading

"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...nel.org> writes:
> kmod has an optimization in place whereby if a some kernel code
> uses request_module() on a module already loaded we never bother
> userspace as the module already is loaded. This is not true for
> get_fs_type() though as it uses aliases.

Well, the obvious thing to do here is block kmod if we're currently
thing in userspace anyway.

We already have module_wq for this, we just need a bit more code to
share the return value; and there's a weird corner case there where we
have "modprobe foo param=invalid" then "modprobe foo param=valid" and we
fail both with -EINVAL, but it's probably not worth fixing.

Cheers,
Rusty.