Date:   Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:57:55 -0800
From:   Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
To:     Jerome Glisse <jglisse@...hat.com>
Cc:     Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        John Hubbard <jhubbard@...dia.com>,
        Ross Zwisler <ross.zwisler@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [HMM v16 04/15] mm/ZONE_DEVICE/unaddressable: add support for
 un-addressable device memory v2

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Jerome Glisse <jglisse@...hat.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> [..]

>> > The whole point of HMM is to allow transparent usage of process address
>> > space on to a device like GPU. So it imply any vma (vm_area_struct) that
>> > result from usual mmap (ie any mmap either PRIVATE or SHARE as long as it
>> > is not a an mmap of a device file).
>> >
>> > It means that application can use malloc or the usual memory allocation
>> > primitive of the langage (c++, rust, python, ...) and directly use the
>> > memory it gets from that with the device.
>>
>> So you need 100% support of all these mm paths for this hardware to be
>> useful at all? Does a separate device-driver and a userpace helper
>> library get you something like 80% of the functionality and then we
>> can debate the core mm changes to get the final 20%? Or am I just
>> completely off base with how people want to use this hardware?
>
> Can't do that. Think library want to use GPU but you do not want to update
> every single program that use that library and library get its memory from
> the application. This is just one scenario. Then you have mmaped file, or
> share memory, ...
>
> Transparent address space is where the industry is moving and sadly on some
> platform (like Intel) we can not rely on hardware to solve it for us.
>

>> > Device like GPU have a large pool of device memory that is not accessible
>> > by the CPU. This device memory has 10 times more bandwidth than system
>> > memory and has better latency then PCIE. Hence for the whole thing to
>> > make sense you need to allow to use it.
>> >
>> > For that you need to allow migration from system memory to device memory.
>> > Because you can not rely on special userspace allocator you have to
>> > assume that the vma (vm_area_struct) is a regular one. So we are left
>> > with having struct page for the device memory to allow migration to
>> > work without requiring too much changes to existing mm.
>> >
>> > Because device memory is not accessible by the CPU, you can not allow
>> > anyone to pin it and thus get_user_page* must trigger a migration back
>> > as CPU page fault would.

>> > I rather reuse something existing and modify it to support more use case
>> > than try to add ZONE_DEVICE2 or ZONE_DEVICE_I_AM_DIFFERENT. I have made
>> > sure that my modifications to ZONE_DEVICE can be use without HMM. It is
>> > just a generic interface to support page fault and to allow to track last
>> > user of a device page. Both can be use indepentently from each other.
>> >
>> > To me the whole point of kernel is trying to share infrastructure accross
>> > as many hardware as possible and i am doing just that. I do not think HMM
>> > should be block because something that use to be for one specific use case
>> > now support 2 use cases. I am not breaking anything existing. Is it more
>> > work for you ? Maybe, but at Red Hat we intend to support it for as long
>> > as it is needed so you always have some one to talk to if you want to
>> > update ZONE_DEVICE.
>>
>> Sharing infrastructure should not come at the expense of type safety

It's hard to judge without a user. For example, we found that fs/dax.c
was violating block device safety lifetime rules that we solved with
dax_map_atomic(), but that couldn't have been done without seeing both
sides of the interface.

...but as I say that I'm aware that I don't have the background in
graphics memory management like I do the block stack to review the
usages.

>> For example the pmem case, before exposing ZONE_DEVICE memory to other
>> parts of the kernel, introduced the pfn_t type to distinguish DMA
>> capable pfns from other raw pfns. All programmatic ways of discovering
>> if a pmem range can support DMA use this type and explicit flags.
>
> I am protected from this because i do not allow GUP. GUP trigger migration
> back to regular system memory.
>

>> While we may not need ZONE_DEVICE2 we obviously need a different
>> wrapper around arch_add_memory() than devm_memremap_pages() for HMM
>> and likely a different physical address radix than pgmap_radix because
>> they are servicing 2 distinct purposes. For example, I don't think HMM
>> should be using unmodified arch_add_memory(). We shouldn't add
>> unaddressable memory to the linear address mappings when we know there
>> is nothing behind it, especially when it seems all you need from
>> arch_add_memory() is pfn_to_page() to be valid.
>
> And my patchset does just that, i do not add the device pfn to the linear
> mapping because there is nothing there. In arch_add_memory() x86, ppc, arm
> do barely more than setting up linear mapping and adding struct page. So
> instead of splitting in two this function i just made the linear mapping
> conditional.

Sorry, I missed that.

> I can split HMM from devm_memremap_pages() and thus from a different
> pgmap_radix. You have to understand that this will not change most of
> my patchset.

Sure, but I think it would worth it from a readability / maintenance
perspective. With HMM being a superset of the existing dev_pagemap()
usage it might make sense to just use struct dev_pagemap as a
sub-structure of the hmm data.