lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite: Windows password security audit tool. GUI, reports in PDF.
[<prev] [next>] [<thread-prev] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date:   Tue, 24 Jan 2017 18:51:27 -0500
From:   Zhihui Zhang <zzhsuny@...il.com>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [PATCH] timers: Reconcile the code and the comment for the 250HZ case

Ah, I see your point. Thanks for the detail explanation.

-Zhihui

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2017, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
>
>> Sure, I believe that comments should always match the code. In this
>
> That's fine.
>
>> case, using either LVL_SIZE - 1 or LVL_SIZE is fine based on my
>> understanding about 20 days ago. But I could be wrong and miss some
>> subtle details. Anyway, my point is about readability.
>
> Well, readability is one thing, but correctness is more important, right?
>
> Let's assume we have 4 buckets per level and base->clk is 0. So Level 0
> has the following expiry times:
>
> Bucket 0:   base->clk + 0
> Bucket 1:   base->clk + 1
> Bucket 2:   base->clk + 2
> Bucket 3:   base->clk + 3
>
> So we can accomodate 4 timers here, but there is a nifty detail. We
> guarantee that expiries are not short, so a timer armed for base->clk
> will expire at base->clk + 1.
>
> The reason for this is that we have no distinction between absolute and
> relative timeouts. But for relative timeouts we have to guarantee that the
> timeout does not expire before the number of jiffies has elapsed.
>
> Now a timer armed with 1 jiffie relativ to now (jiffies) cannot be queued
> to bucket 0 because jiffies can be incremented immediately after queueing
> the timer which would expire it early. So it's queued to bucket 1 and
> that's why we need to have LVL_SIZE - 1 and not LVL_SIZE. See also
> calc_index().
>
> Your change completely breaks the wheel. Let's assume the above and a
> timer expiring at base->clk + 3.
>
> With your change the timer would fall into Level 0. So no calc_index()
> does:
>
>         expires = (expires + LVL_GRAN(lvl)) >> LVL_SHIFT(lvl);
>         return LVL_OFFS(lvl) + (expires & LVL_MASK);
>
> Let's substitute that for the expires = base->clk + 3 case:
>
>         expires = (base->clk + 3 + 1) >> 0;
>
> --->    expires = 4;
>
>         return 0 + (4 & 0x03);
>
> --->    index = 0
>
> So the timer gets queued into bucket 0 and expires 4 jiffies too early.
>
> So using either LVL_SIZE - 1 or LVL_SIZE is _NOT_ fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
>         tglx
>
>
>
>
>
>

Powered by blists - more mailing lists