Date:   Wed, 1 Feb 2017 07:53:26 +0100
From:   Hannes Reinecke <hare@...e.de>
To:     Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>
Cc:     linux-block@...r.kernel.org, linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: remove the cmd_type field from struct request

On 01/31/2017 07:02 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 01/31/2017 07:57 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> [1] which were a pain in the ass to untangle and debug during development,
>> it's really time for it to die..
>
> Outside of the patch series in question, how to we expedite the
> euthanasia of IDE? What explicit features/support are we missing through
> libata that would need to be added, before we can git rm drivers/ide/ ?

There is only a single driver (sgi_ide) which hasn't been moved over to
libata. But this is for an old Itanium-based server only, and even SGI
didn't press us to have this ported.
(And we have disabled the IDE drivers since SLES11, where we still
support Itanium.)
So they can be safely assumed defunct at this time.

I'm all for removing them.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@...e.de			      +49 911 74053 688