Date:   Thu, 2 Feb 2017 14:14:10 +0900
From:   Minchan Kim <minchan@...nel.org>
To:     Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
Cc:     Shaohua Li <shli@...com>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Kernel-team@...com, mhocko@...e.com,
        hughd@...gle.com, riel@...hat.com, mgorman@...hsingularity.net
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/6]mm: add new LRU list for MADV_FREE pages

Hi Johannes,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 04:38:10PM -0500, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:45:47AM -0800, Shaohua Li wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 01:59:49PM -0500, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> > > Hi Shaohua,

> > > Fully agreed, the anon LRU is a bad place for these pages.

> > > Do we actually need a new page flag and a special LRU for them? These
> > > pages are basically like clean cache pages at that point. What do you
> > > think about clearing their PG_swapbacked flag on MADV_FREE and moving
> > > them to the inactive file list? The way isolate+putback works should
> > > not even need much modification, something like clear_page_mlock().
> > >
> > > When the reclaim scanner finds anon && dirty && !swapbacked, it can
> > > again set PG_swapbacked and goto keep_locked to move the page back
> > > into the anon LRU to get reclaimed according to swapping rules.
> >
> > Interesting idea! Not sure though, the MADV_FREE pages are actually anonymous
> > pages, this will introduce confusion. On the other hand, if the MADV_FREE pages
> > are mixed with inactive file pages, page reclaim need to reclaim a lot of file
> > pages first before reclaim the MADV_FREE pages. This doesn't look good. The
> > point of a separate LRU is to avoid scan other anon/file pages.
>
> The LRU code and the rest of VM already use independent page type
> distinctions. That's because shmem pages are !PageAnon - they have a
> page->mapping that points to a real address space, not an anon_vma -
> but they are swapbacked and thus go through the anon LRU. This would
> just do the reverse: put PageAnon pages on the file LRU when they
> don't contain valid data and are thus not swapbacked.
>
> As far as mixing with inactive file pages goes, it'd be possible to
> link the MADV_FREE pages to the tail of the inactive list, rather than
> the head. That said, I'm not sure reclaiming use-once filesystem cache
> before MADV_FREE is such a bad policy. MADV_FREE retains the vmas for
> the sole purpose of reusing them in the (near) future. That is
> actually a stronger reuse signal than we have for use-once file pages.
> If somebody does continuous writes to a logfile or a one-off search
> through one or more files, we should actually reclaim that cache
> before we go after MADV_FREE pages that are temporarily invalidated.

Yes, we should be careful on this issue. It was main arguable point.
How about moving them to head of inactive file, not tail if we want to
go with inactive file LRU?

With that, VM try to reclaim file pages first from the tail of list
and if pages reclaimed were workingset, it could be activated by
workingset_refault. Otherwise, we can discard use-once pages without
puring *madv_free* pages so I think it's good compromise.

What do you think?