Date:   Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:08:25 +0800
From:   Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@...el.com>
To:     Arend Van Spriel <arend.vanspriel@...adcom.com>
Cc:     Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
        Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
        linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        kbuild-all@...org,
        Rafał Miłecki <rafal@...ecki.pl>,
        Philip Li <philip.li@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [kbuild-all]
 drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/debug.c:58:6: error:
 redefinition of 'brcmf_debugfs_init'

Hi all,

Yes sorry, it's a false report related to how we do bisects.

>>> It is a very old issue. The thing is that the issue can not really occur
>>> because we have this:
>>>
>>> # common flags
>>> subdir-ccflags-$(CONFIG_BRCMDBG)        += -DDEBUG
>>>
>>> in drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/Makefile. So no clue what
>>> happens in the "kbuild test robot" scenario.

As an optimization, the robot often does "partial builds" during bisects.
For example, when the error is found in

        drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/debug.c

It'll try

        make drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/debug.o

And verify the bisect result with

        make drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/

However in this case the whole dir is moved, so both logics failed to
give correct results. We'll check how to improve this. Sorry for the
confusions!

>> I actually tried to reproduce this with kbuild bot's instructions and
>> was surprised to see that the build worked ok for me. So the issue is
>> not that simple.
>
>Hi Kalle,
>
>Here is the old email exchange we had about this [1]. In my opinion this
>is a Kbuild issue that needs to be looked into.
>
>Regards,
>Arend
>
>[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg142122.html

Thanks,