Date:   Mon, 27 Feb 2017 17:32:37 +0200
From:   Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@...nel.org>
To:     Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <b.zolnierkie@...sung.com>
Cc:     Lee Jones <lee.jones@...aro.org>,
        Chanwoo Choi <cw00.choi@...sung.com>,
        Liam Girdwood <lgirdwood@...il.com>,
        Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFT 0/4] mfd: regulator: max14577: Remove support for platform data

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
<b.zolnierkie@...sung.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday, February 17, 2017 10:01:56 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Minor cleanup of max14577 family of drivers. The dependency inside:
>> 1. Patch #3 and #4 depends for safeness on #1 so no one would try to
>>    run the driver on non-DT platform (such platform does not exist anyway...).
>> 2. Patch #4 depends on patch #3 (compile time dependency).
>>
>> Unfortunately I do not have the boards using these drivers, so testing
>> would be appreciated.
>
> Your patchset looks fine to me but I've noticed that
> maxim,max14577 bindings are not used currently in
> the mainline kernel.
>
> AFAIK MAX14577 support is needed only for Gear1 board
> which doesn't have DTS file in the upstream kernel
> (moreover Exynos4212 SoC support has been removed
> recently).
>
> It seems that MAX14577 support should also go away
> (unless there are some other boards using it that we
> support in the mainline kernel).

The driver supports two chipsets: max14577 and max77836. As you noted,
the first one is for Gear 1. The second one is present on Gear2 which
is supported by mainline. Simplifying the driver to support only
max77836 would be a task requiring testing. I think review would be in
such case not enough.

Best regards,
Krzysztof