Date:   Mon, 27 Feb 2017 17:27:47 +0100
From:   Gary Bisson <gary.bisson@...ndarydevices.com>
To:     Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>
Cc:     Mika Penttilä <mika.penttila@...tfour.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linus.walleij@...aro.org
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] pinctrl, of, unable to find hogs

Mika, Tony, All,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 07:53:53AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Mika Penttilä <mika.penttila@...tfour.com> [170226 21:46]:
> >
> > With current linus git (pre 4.11), unable to find the pinctrl hogs :
> >

> >  imx6q-pinctrl 20e0000.iomuxc: unable to find group for node hoggrp
> >

> > Device is i.MX6 based.
>
> Sorry to hear about that, maybe imx_pinctrl_probe_dt() should be
> called before devm_pinctrl_register_and_init()?
>
> Things got moved around a bit with e566fc11ea76 ("pinctrl: imx: use
> generic pinctrl helpers for managing groups") it seems. But maybe that
> was done because we did not have commit 950b0d91dc10 ("pinctrl: core:
> Fix regression caused by delayed work for hogs") when the imx_pinctrl
> changes got merged.

Indeed the i.MX changes were made before your the rework.

The reason imx_pinctrl_probe_dt got moved around is because
devm_pinctrl_register is the one that initializes the radix trees that
are needed when probing the dt.

> Gary, are you able to reproduce this? Seems it should happen with
> any imx with hogs configured in the dts.

Yes I can reproduce the issue.

Not sure how to fix it though since we can't move the dt probing before
radix tree init.

Regards,
Gary