Date:   Mon, 6 Mar 2017 17:30:02 -0500
From:   Jessica Yu <jeyu@...hat.com>
To:     Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@...hat.com>
Cc:     Paul Moore <paul@...l-moore.com>, Steve Grubb <sgrubb@...hat.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Hundreds of null PATH records for *init_module syscall audit logs

+++ Richard Guy Briggs [06/03/17 16:49 -0500]:
>On 2017-03-03 19:22, Paul Moore wrote:

>> > Ok, I was partially able to do this.
>> >
>> > If I try and catch it in audit_log_start() which is the common point for
>> > all the record types to be able to limit to just SYSCALL and
>> > KERN_MODULE, there will already be a linked list of hundreds to
>> > thousands of audit_names and will still print a non-zero items count in
>> > the SYSCALL record.  This also sounds like a potentially lazy way to
>> > deal with other record spam (like setuid BRPM_FCAPS).
>> >
>> > If I catch it in __audit_inode_child in the same place as I caught the
>> > filesystem type, it is effective for only the PATH record, which is all
>> > that is a problem at the moment.
>> >
>> > It touches nine arch-related files, which is a lot more disruptive than
>> > I was hoping.
>>
>> Blocking PATH record on creation based on syscall *really* seems like
>> a bad/dangerous idea.  If we want to block all these tracefs/debugfs
>> records, let's just block the fs.  Although as of right now I'm not a
>> fan of blocking anything.
>
>I agree.  What makes me leery of this approach is if a kernel module in
>turn accesses directly other files, or bypasses the load_module call to
>load another module from a file and avoids logging.

AFAIK load_module is *the* entry point for module loading, it is where
all the setup occurs in order for a module to be properly set up and
registered in our internal data structures (e.g the global modules
list). If a module wants another module loaded, it can request for it
to be loaded via request_module(), which punts the request to modprobe
in userspace to load the module in question, but I'm not sure if
that's at all related to this null PATH record issue.

Jessica