Date:   Thu, 16 Mar 2017 12:27:26 +0000
From:   Patrick Bellasi <patrick.bellasi@....com>
To:     Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@....com>
Cc:     Joel Fernandes <joelaf@...gle.com>,
        "Joel Fernandes (Google)" <joel.opensrc@...il.com>,
        linux-pm@...r.kernel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        "Rafael J . Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        Andres Oportus <andresoportus@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 5/5] sched/{core,cpufreq_schedutil}: add capacity
 clamping for RT/DL tasks

On 16-Mar 11:16, Juri Lelli wrote:
> On 15/03/17 16:40, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Juri Lelli <juri.lelli@....com> wrote:
> > [..]

> > > Humm.. but in this case we won't be 'reacting', we will be
> > > 'anticipating' tasks' needs, right?
> >
> > Are you saying we will start ramping frequency before the next
> > activation so that we're ready for it?
> >

> I'm saying that there is no need to ramp, simply select the frequency
> that is needed for a task (or a set of them).
>
> > If not, it sounds like it will only make the frequency request on the
> > next activation when the Active bandwidth increases due to the task
> > waking up. By then task has already started to run, right?
> >

> When the task is enqueued back we select the frequency considering its
> bandwidth request (and the bandwidth/utilization of the others). So,
> when it actually starts running it will already have enough capacity to
> finish in time.

Here we are factoring out the time required to actually switch to the
required OPP. I think Joel was referring to this time.

That time cannot really be eliminated but from having faster OOP
swiching HW support. Still, jumping strating to the "optimal" OPP
instead of rumping up is a big improvement.

--
#include <best/regards.h>

Patrick Bellasi