Date:   Thu, 13 Apr 2017 19:32:56 +0200
From:   Boszormenyi Zoltan <zboszor@...hu>
To:     Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrjala@...ux.intel.com>,
        Ilia Mirkin <imirkin@...m.mit.edu>
Cc:     lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Maling list - DRI developers
        <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: KMS question

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:37:45AM -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

>>> Can you enable it via randr?
>>
>> I think the video= based disable forces the connector to be disabled
>> irrevocably.
>
> # echo detect > /sys/class/drm/<whatever>/status

Thanks, that worked.

I had to regenerate my initramfs to actually include the gma500 driver
so KMS can kick in early. Before that the text mode plugin was used in
plymouth and that doesn't switch dimensions when fbdev took over.

The plymouth boot splash now looks good on the primary screen with
the secondary display disabled from the kernel command line and I can
enable the secondary screen from a boot script before X (a DM) starts
which causes both screens to flash but it's good for me now.

Thanks for everyone who answered.