Date:   Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:30:33 +0100
From:   Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>
To:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        peterz@...radead.org
Subject: Re: Heads-up: two regressions in v4.11-rc series

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:00:42AM +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> Just wanted to give a heads-up on two regressions in 4.11-rc series.
>
> (1) page allocator optimization revert
>
> Mel Gorman and I have been playing with optimizing the page allocator,
> but Tariq spotted that we caused a regression for (NIC) drivers that
> refill DMA RX rings in softirq context.
>
> The end result was a revert, and this is waiting in AKPMs quilt queue:
>  http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/revert-mm-page_alloc-only-use-per-cpu-allocator-for-irq-safe-requests.patch

This was flagged to Andrew that it should go in for either 4.11 or if
there were concerns about how close to the release we are then put it in
for 4.11-stable. At worst, I can do a resubmit to -stable myself after
it gets merged in the next window if it falls between the cracks.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs