Date:   Tue, 9 May 2017 13:21:47 +0200
From:   Javier González <jg@...htnvm.io>
To:     Ming Lei <ming.lei@...hat.com>
Cc:     Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        linux-block@...r.kernel.org,
        Matias Bjørling <mb@...htnvm.io>
Subject: Re: Large latency on blk_queue_enter

> On 9 May 2017, at 12.58, Ming Lei <ming.lei@...hat.com> wrote:

>>> Ok. I'll try that.
>>
>> I cannot reproduce the latency on a normal nvme drive when mixing I/O
>> from a fio job and ioctls.
>>
>> The path is different from the one in pblk, since normal block I/O
>> uses the generic_make_request(), but still, they both need to
>> blk_queue_enter(), allocate a request, etc. They only "major" difference
>> I see is that normal block I/O requests are given by get_request()
>> (which as far as I understand takes pre-allocated requests from the
>> queue request list), while pblk allocates each request via
>> nvme_alloc_request().
>>
>> What puzzles me most is that having different pblk instances, issuing
>> I/O in parallel does not trigger the long tail. Otherwise, I would think
>> that we are just unlucky and get scheduled out. Still, 20ms...
>>
>> BTW, in order to discard NUMA, I tried on a single socket machine, and
>> same, same.
>
> I suspect the .q_usage_counter is DEAD, and you can check it via
> percpu_ref_is_dying(), or just check if slow path is reached.
>
> The fast path is that percpu_ref_tryget_live() returns directly,
> and slow path is reached only if queue is freezed or dead.
>
> If that is true, you can add a dump_stack() in blk_freeze_queue_start()
> to see where the unusual freezing/unfreezing is from.

Thanks for the hint Ming! You are right. We somehow trigger a re-read
partition:

[  324.010184]  dump_stack+0x63/0x90
[  324.010191]  blk_freeze_queue_start+0x1e/0x50
[  324.010194]  blk_mq_freeze_queue+0x12/0x20
[  324.010199]  __nvme_revalidate_disk+0xa4/0x350
[  324.010203]  nvme_revalidate_disk+0x53/0x90
[  324.010206]  rescan_partitions+0x8d/0x380
[  324.010211]  ? tlb_flush_mmu_free+0x36/0x60
[  324.010218]  ? security_capable+0x48/0x60
[  324.010221]  __blkdev_reread_part+0x65/0x70
[  324.010223]  blkdev_reread_part+0x23/0x40
[  324.010225]  blkdev_ioctl+0x387/0x910
[  324.010229]  ? locks_insert_lock_ctx+0x7e/0xd0
[  324.010235]  block_ioctl+0x3d/0x50
[  324.010239]  do_vfs_ioctl+0xa1/0x5d0
[  324.010242]  ? locks_lock_inode_wait+0x51/0x150
[  324.010247]  ? kmem_cache_alloc+0xd7/0x1b0
[  324.010249]  ? locks_alloc_lock+0x1b/0x70
[  324.010252]  SyS_ioctl+0x79/0x90
[  324.010254]  ? SyS_flock+0x11c/0x180
[  324.010260]  entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x1e/0xad

I'm checking why this happens now...

Javier

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (802 bytes)