Date:   Thu, 11 May 2017 13:10:03 +0000
From:   Trond Myklebust <trondmy@...marydata.com>
To:     "mhocko@...nel.org" <mhocko@...nel.org>
CC:     "torvalds@...ux-foundation.org" <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        "linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        "n.borisov.lkml@...il.com" <n.borisov.lkml@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull NFS client fixes for 4.12

On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 14:56 +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Thu 11-05-17 12:45:00, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > > everything which is not __GFP_NOFAIL might fail. We try hard not
> > > fail
> > > small allocations requests as much as we can in general but you
> > > _have_ to
> > > check for failures. There is simply no way to guarantee "never
> > > fail"
> > > semantic for all allocation requests. This has been like that
> > > basically
> > > since years. And even this try-to-be-nofailing for small
> > > allocations
> > > has
> > > been PITA for some corner cases.
> >
> > I'll take that as a vote for (2), then.
> >
> > I know that failures could occur in the past. That's why those code
> > paths were there. The problem is that the MM community has been
> > making
> > lots of noise on mailing lists, conferences and LWN articles about
> > how
> > we must not fail small allocations because the MM community
> > believes
> > that nobody expects it. This is confusing everyone...
>
> It was exactly other way around. We would like to _get_rid_of_ this
> do
> not fail behavior because it is causing a major headaches in out of
> memory corner cases. Just take GFP_NOFS as an example. It is a weak
> reclaim context because we cannot reclaim fs metadata and that might
> be
> a lot of memory so we cannot trigger the OOM killer and have to rely
> on
> a different allocation context or kswapd to make a progress on our
> behalf. We would really like to fail those requests instead. I've
> tried
> that in the past but it was deemed to dangerous because _all_ kernel
> paths would have to be checked for a sane failure behavior. So we are
> keeping status quo instead.

If we suspect the existence of a load of potential time bombs in the
kernel due to missing checks, then the status quo is not good enough.
We should be working on tools to identify these code paths.

Quite frankly, I'd love to see a fuzzer-like tool that can randomly
fail allocations. I can easily make one for the NFS code, but if there
is a general problem identifying buggy code, then perhaps it should be
solved at the MM layer itself.

> > It confused Neil Brown, who contributed these patches, and it
> > confused
> > me and all the other reviewers of these patches on the linux-nfs
> > mailing list.
> >
> > So if indeed (2) is correct, then please can we have a clear
> > statement
> > _when discussing improvements to memory allocation semantics_ that
> > GFP_* still can fail, still will fail, and that callers should
> > assume
> > it will fail and should test their code paths assuming the failure
> > case.
>
> I do not see any explicit documentation which would encourage users
> not check for the allocation failure. Only __GFP_NOFAIL is documented
> it
> _must_ retry for ever. Of course I am open for any documentation
> improvements.

As I said, the problem has been the discussion, and how it focusses on
"must not fail".

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, PrimaryData