Date:   Tue, 20 Jun 2017 09:45:23 -0700
From:   "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:     Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
Cc:     jiangshanlai@...il.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: WARN_ON_ONCE() in process_one_work()?

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 06:40:00AM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:31:05AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 07:53:14AM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:

> > > Yeah, if my suspicion is correct, it'd require new kworker creation
> > > racing against CPU offline, which would explain why it's so difficult
> > > to repro.  Can you please see whether the following patch resolves the
> > > issue?
> >
> > That could explain why only Steve Rostedt and I saw the issue.  As far
> > as I know, we are the only ones who regularly run CPU-hotplug stress
> > tests.  ;-)
>
> I was a bit confused.  It has to be racing against either new kworker
> being created on the wrong CPU or rescuer trying to migrate to the
> CPU, and it looks like we're mostly seeing the rescuer condition, but,
> yeah, this would only get triggered rarely.  Another contributing
> factor could be the vmstat work putting on a workqueue w/ rescuer
> recently.  It runs quite often, so probably has increased the chance
> of hitting the right condition.

Sounds like too much fun!  ;-)

But more constructively...  If I understand correctly, it is now possible
to take a CPU partially offline and put it back online again.  This should
allow much more intense testing of this sort of interaction.

And no, I haven't yet tried this with RCU because I would probably need
to do some mix of just-RCU online/offline and full-up online-offline.
Plus RCU requires pretty much a full online/offline cycle to fully
exercise it.  :-/

> > I have a weekend-long run going, but will give this a shot overnight on
> > Monday, Pacific Time.  Thank you for putting it together, looking forward
> > to seeing what it does!
>
> Thanks a lot for the testing and patience.  Sorry that it took so
> long.  I'm not completely sure the patch is correct.  It might have to
> be more specifc about which type of migration or require further
> synchronization around migration, but hopefully it'll at least be able
> to show that this was the cause of the problem.

And last night's tests had no failures.  Which might actually mean
something, will get more info when I run without your patch this
evening.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul