Date:   Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:36:40 -0600
From:   Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org>
To:     Sumit Semwal <sumit.semwal@...aro.org>
Cc:     Tom Gall <tom.gall@...aro.org>, Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        Brian Norris <computersforpeace@...il.com>,
        "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "# 3.4.x" <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
        "open list:KERNEL SELFTEST FRAMEWORK"
        <linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org>,
        Shuah Khan <shuahkh@....samsung.com>,
        Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: seccomp ptrace selftest failures with 4.4-stable [Was: Re: LTS
 testing with latest kselftests - some failures]

On 06/22/2017 10:02 PM, Sumit Semwal wrote:
> Hi Shuah,
>
> On 23 June 2017 at 01:53, Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org> wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> On 06/22/2017 01:48 PM, Tom Gall wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Personally I'm a bit skeptical. I think the reasoning is more that the
>>> latest selftests provide more coverage, and therefore should be better
>>> tests, even on older kernels.
>>
>> The assumption that "the latest selftests provide more coverage, and
>> therefore should be better tests, even on older kernels." is incorrect.
>>
>> Selftests in general track the kernel features. In some cases, new
>> tests could be added that provide better coverage on older kernels,
>> however, it is more likely that new tests are added to test new kernel
>> features and enhancements to existing features. Based on the second
>> "enhancements to existing features" it is more important to test newer
>> kernels with older selftests. This does happen in kernel integration
>> cycles during development.
>>
>> As a general rule, testing stable kernels with their own selftests will
>> yield the best results.
>>
> I would have agreed totally, if the selftests and the kernel were in
> sync since forever. But since the kselftests are a comparatively
> recent addition, the number of tests available for features existing
> in LTS kernels is really quite small. Just as a comparison, 4.4-LTS
> misses tests for bpf, cpufreq, gpio, media_tests, networking, prctl,
> to name a few.

Yes. Several tests have been added since 4.4. Unfortunately these new
additions don't qualify as candidates for stable releases.

> Also, while trying to run kselftests from later kernels with 4.4, we
> only had a few failures for existing features, while most other tests
> ran ok. Just another data point.

That is good to hear. Let's fix the problems as you find them and make
the selftests from newer releases work well (if not perfect) on older
kernels.

4.13 is going to see TAP13 changes as well, so if selftests from newer
kernels work for you, you will see TAB13 benefits.

thanks,
-- Shuah