Date:   Tue, 27 Jun 2017 21:51:00 -0700
From:   Kyle Huey <me@...ehuey.com>
To:     "Jin, Yao" <yao.jin@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:     Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        "Peter Zijlstra (Intel)" <peterz@...radead.org>,
        stable@...r.kernel.org,
        Alexander Shishkin <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>,
        Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
        Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>,
        Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>,
        Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Vince Weaver <vincent.weaver@...ne.edu>, acme@...nel.org,
        jolsa@...nel.org, kan.liang@...el.com,
        Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>,
        Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>, gregkh@...uxfoundation.org,
        "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@...llahan.org>,
        open list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] perf/core: PMU interrupts dropped if we entered the
 kernel in the "skid" region

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Jin, Yao <yao.jin@...ux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In theory, the PMI interrupts in skid region should be dropped, right?

No, why would they be dropped?

My understanding of the situation is as follows:

There is some time, call it t_0, where the hardware counter overflows.
The PMU triggers an interrupt, but this is not instantaneous.  Call
the time when the interrupt is actually delivered t_1.  Then t_1 - t_0
is the "skid".

Note that if the counter is `exclude_kernel`, then at t_0 the CPU
*must* be running a userspace program.  But by t_1, the CPU may be
doing something else.  Your patch changed things so that if at t_1 the
CPU is in the kernel, then the interrupt is discarded.  But rr has
programmed the counter to deliver a signal on overflow (via F_SETSIG
on the fd returned by perf_event_open).  This change results in the
signal never being delivered, because the interrupt was ignored.
(More accurately, the signal is delivered the *next* time the counter
overflows, which is far past where we wanted to inject our
asynchronous event into our tracee.

It seems to me that it might be reasonable to ignore the interrupt if
the purpose of the interrupt is to trigger sampling of the CPUs
register state.  But if the interrupt will trigger some other
operation, such as a signal on an fd, then there's no reason to drop
it.

> For a userspace debugger, is it the only choice that relies on the *skid*
> PMI interrupt?

I don't understand this question, but hopefully the above clarified things.

- Kyle