Date:   Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:17:12 -0400
From:   Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:     Will Hawkins <hawkinsw@...laugic.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Help with trace-cmd/ftrace recording process ID information

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:06:37 -0400
Will Hawkins <hawkinsw@...laugic.com> wrote:

> This seems to be the problem:
>
> On the "good" system, that file is up-to-date with cached PIDs and
> comms. On the bad host, there are no cached entries from any of the
> traces that I've run.
>
> Because these are running old kernels, there is no saved_cmdlines_size
> knob to turn. Do you have any idea why the saved_cmdlines would not be
> getting updated appropriately on the "bad" host? I know this is not
> ideal, but I can try to reboot that host and see if something is

Yeah, a reboot may work.

> simply wedged. The system has been online for almost a year, so it's
> possible that something has gone wrong.
>
> Any help you can offer would be great! Thank you, again, for your response!

The recording of command lines only happens when tracing is done, and
there were a few bugs with the older kernels that caused it to either
stop and never start again, or to simply just miss a bunch of recording.

It may be that it stopped and never started again, so you will only
have a stale file.

-- Steve