Date:   Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:23:22 +0300
From:   Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>
To:     Marcus Wolf <marcus.wolf@...f-entwicklungen.de>
Cc:     Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, devel@...verdev.osuosl.org
Subject: Re: Send a large patch right now or is it better to do it  later?

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 05:16:56PM +0200, Marcus Wolf wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> according to the proposals of Walter Harms, I revised the rf69.c: I replaced
> some macros with inline functions and removed some obsolete ifdefs. According to
> walter this will improve the resource situation. In addition the readybility is
> enhanced, since lines got shorter. It's a quite big change, that touched nearly
> every function in that file.

Just send your patches, we can't discuss them without seeing them.

> I was testing the new code for a while now and did not observer a problem so
> far. But I don't have a kind of unit test, so my tests for sure didn't cover
> everything.

Any sort of testing is probably better than 70% of staging patches.  :P

> Is it a good time, to submit such a change in these days, or is it prefrable to
> submit it later?

It doesn't matter when you send patches.

> In adition, I am a bit afraid of my current mailtool doing something
> unexpected...
>
> If you like, I can give it a try!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcus
> P.S. Can you process diffs fom SVN, too, or is it mandatory to create the diff
> with git?

The patches have to be able to be applied with `cat email.txt | git am`.
If you're renaming or moving files, then use git diff.  Otherwise it's
all fine.

regards,
dan carpenter