Date:   Thu, 3 Aug 2017 15:11:55 -0600
From:   Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>
To:     "Gao, Ping A" <ping.a.gao@...el.com>
Cc:     Kirti Wankhede <kwankhede@...dia.com>, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>,
        Zhenyu Wang <zhenyuw@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jike Song <jike.song@...el.com>, libvir-list@...hat.com,
        zhi.a.wang@...el.com
Subject: Re: [RFC]Add new mdev interface for QoS

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 20:26:14 +0800
"Gao, Ping A" <ping.a.gao@...el.com> wrote:

> On 2017/8/3 0:58, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 21:16:28 +0530
> > Kirti Wankhede <kwankhede@...dia.com> wrote:

> >> How will vendor driver provide max weight to userspace
> >> application/libvirt? Max weight will be per physical device, right?
> >>
> >> How would such resource allocation reflect in 'available_instances'?
> >> Suppose in above example, vGPU_1 is of 1G FB with weight 8, vGPU_2 with
> >> 1G FB with weight 4 and vGPU_3 with 1G FB with weight 4. Now you have 1G
> >> FB free but you have reached max weight, so will you make
> >> available_instances = 0 for all types on that physical GPU?
> > No, per the algorithm above, the available scheduling for the remaining
> > mdev device is N / (8 + 4 + 4 + N), where N is 1-16 (or maybe 0-16,
> > we'd need to define or make the range discoverable, 16 seems rather
> > arbitrary).  We can always add new scheduling participants.  AIUI,
> > Intel uses round-robin scheduling now, where you could consider all
> > mdev devices to have the same weight.  Whether we consider that to be a
> > weight of 16 or zero or 8 doesn't really matter.
>
> QoS is to control the device's process capability like GPU
> rendering/computing that can be time multiplexing, not used to control
> the dedicated partition resources like FB, so there is no impact on
> 'available_instances'.
>
> if vGPU_1 weight=8, vGPU_2 weight=4;
> then vGPU_1_res = 8 / (8 + 4) * total,  vGPU_2_res = 4 / (8 + 4) * total;
> if vGPU_3 created with weight 2;
> then vGPU_1_res = 8 /(8 + 4 + 2) * total, vGPU_2_res = 4 / (8 + 4 + 2) *
> total, vGPU_3_res = 2 / (8 + 4 + 2) * total.
>
> The resource allocation of vGPU_1 and vGPU_2 have been dynamically
> changed after vGPU_3 creating, that's weight doing as it's to define the
> relationship of all the vGPUs, the performance degradation is meet
> expectation. The end-user should know about such behavior.
>
> However the argument on weight let me has some self-reflection, does the
> end-user real need weight? does weight has actually application
> requirement?  Maybe the cap and priority are enough?

What sort of SLAs do you want to be able to offer?  For instance if I
want to be able to offer a GPU in 1/4 increments, how does that work?
I might sell customers A & B 1/4 increment each and customer C a 1/2
increment.  If weight is removed, can we do better than capping A & B
at 25% each and C at 50%?  That has the downside that nobody gets to
use the unused capacity of the other clients.  The SLA is some sort of
"up to X% (and no more)" model.  With weighting it's as simple as making
sure customer C's vGPU has twice the weight of that given to A or B.
Then you get an "at least X%" SLA model and any customer can use up to
100% if the others are idle.  Combining weight and cap, we can do "at
least X%, but no more than Y%".

All of this feels really similar to how cpusets must work since we're
just dealing with QoS relative to scheduling and we should not try to
reinvent scheduling QoS.  Thanks,

Alex