Date:   Mon, 7 Aug 2017 13:27:02 +0100
From:   "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@...hat.com>
To:     Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>
Cc:     Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>, linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        "Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@...cle.com>
Subject: Re: Increased memory usage with scsi-mq

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 02:11:39PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> You could also add a module parameter to the driver, and set it to 64 on
> the kernel command line (there is an example in
> drivers/scsi/vmw_pvscsi.c of how to do it).

[Proviso: I've not tested the performance of difference values, nor do
I have any particular knowledge in this area]

can_queue is documented as:

         * This determines if we will use a non-interrupt driven
         * or an interrupt driven scheme.  It is set to the maximum number
         * of simultaneous commands a given host adapter will accept.

Wouldn't it be better to make it default to k * number of CPUs for
some small integer k?

I looked at the other scsi drivers and they set it to all kinds of
values.  1, small integers, large integers, configurable values.

Also I noticed this code in virtio_scsi.c:

        cmd_per_lun = virtscsi_config_get(vdev, cmd_per_lun) ?: 1;
        shost->cmd_per_lun = min_t(u32, cmd_per_lun, shost->can_queue);

but setting cmd_per_lun (as a qemu virtio-scsi-pci parameter) didn't
seem to make any difference to memory usage.

Rich.