Date:   Tue, 8 Aug 2017 13:30:43 +0100
From:   Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>
To:     Pasha Tatashin <pasha.tatashin@...cle.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, sparclinux@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org,
        linux-s390@...r.kernel.org, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org,
        x86@...nel.org, kasan-dev@...glegroups.com, borntraeger@...ibm.com,
        heiko.carstens@...ibm.com, davem@...emloft.net,
        willy@...radead.org, mhocko@...nel.org, ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org,
        catalin.marinas@....com, sam@...nborg.org
Subject: Re: [v6 11/15] arm64/kasan: explicitly zero kasan shadow memory

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:49:22AM -0400, Pasha Tatashin wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> Thank you for looking at this change. What you described was in my previous
> iterations of this project.
>
> See for example here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/5/5/369
>
> I was asked to remove that flag, and only zero memory in place when needed.
> Overall the current approach is better everywhere else in the kernel, but it
> adds a little extra code to kasan initialization.

Damn, I actually prefer the flag :)

But actually, if you look at our implementation of vmemmap_populate, then we
have our own version of vmemmap_populate_basepages that terminates at the
pmd level anyway if ARM64_SWAPPER_USES_SECTION_MAPS. If there's resistance
to do this in the core code, then I'd be inclined to replace our
vmemmap_populate implementation in the arm64 code with a single version that
can terminate at either the PMD or the PTE level, and do zeroing if
required. We're already special-casing it, so we don't really lose anything
imo.

Will