Date:   Wed, 9 Aug 2017 10:52:20 -0700
From:   Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:     Axel Rohde <dr.a.rohde@....de>
Cc:     stable@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: AMD Polaris 12 / RX 5xx support for Linux 4.9.x

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 07:36:20PM +0200, Axel Rohde wrote:

> Hi Kernel Maintainers,
>
> I'm using Debian 9 ("Stretch", has just become stable) with Kernel 4.9.30.
>
> Recently I added a AMD Radeon RX 550 (Polaris 12) graphics board to my system to connect an
> Ultra HD Monitor using Display Port 1.2, which the Intel Ivy Bridge core i5 lacks.
>
> Unfortunately 4.9.30 did NOT support AMD Radeon RX 550 (Polaris 12).
> I had to use kernel 4.11.
>
> Are you planning to backport support for AMDGPU Polaris 12 (AMD Radeon RX 5xx Series graphics boards)
> from 4.11 or later back to 4.9?

Note, the stable kernel trees do not add new device support to them over
the lifetime of their existance, with the exception of simple new device
ids or quirks.  See:
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
for a full list of what the rules are.

So, is support for these devices just a simple new device id to add?  If
so, what is the git commit id for them and I'll be glad to queue them
up.

If not, then no, the stable trees are not going to add new support for
them, sorry, just use a new kernel, what is keeping you on an old kernel
version?

thanks,

greg k-h